Skimmer pump upgrade

DICK

Hello from chilly Miami (55º)!
I presently have a Rio 600 (venturi)on my skimmer and would like to upgrade to something with a little more GPH. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

DICK

Thanx for the replies, guys,
Stoney, it is an Aqua Clear 75. The pump seems to have been loosing performance over time. I'ts been running for approx. one year. Thanx for the suggestion and link Craig, I think that's what I'll go with.

ReefLady

Staff member
Dick, sometimes a pump that moves more water isn't always the best solution. Many skimmers were designed for a certain amount of water flow and adding more water may have the reverse effect of what you're looking for.

Also, if you're replacing a venturi pump with a non-venturi, you may again lose performance.

premiumaquatics.com sells a maxi-jet turbo venturi kit for about $5 that adds a venturi, and the maxi-jet 900 will just about match the output of your rio 600. IMO, a safer way to go. I'd almost recommend just getting another rio, but I just can't bring myself to ever recommend a rio. :)

Travis

DICK

Thanx Travis, good point. The present problem is that one day the water level in the skimmer is fine and the next it's way low. I try to keep the pump clean but it's just inconsistent.

StoneyReef

No Longer a Member
My feeling is: I would get the maxijet 1200 with the $5 venturi kit. As you can adjust water volume and air volume via the air screw that comes with it, or for fine adjustment replace it with a decent air valve. This way if the 1200 is putting out too much water, increase the air, you get more bubbles and less water volume.

I think the 1200 with the venturi kit is a win win situation for you!

wooddood

the wood dude
thats what comes with the seaclone skimmers and always worked well for me.i know seaclone,but i never had a problem with them.jmpe.