Skimmer Options for the S650

salty23

Hi all,

I am in the process of purchasing a S650, however I keep reading that the skimmer is the worst part of the S650.
Just wondering what options of skimmers are out there that could fit into the stock S650 Sump and what modifications are needed?
because I know the sump is tiny and you'll need a skimmer with a small footprint.

Thanks in advance! :wave:

Choff

Hey Salty, Gratz on the 650! Start a tank thread when you get going.

The skimmer is excellent. I think it's a bit harder to adjust than most other skimmers, but the performance is outstanding. My issue with it is it is the loudest component in an otherwise fairly silent set up. You may want to give it a go before automatically dropping another $600+ on another skimmer. If you do want to replace it, the sump is far from small in the 650 and there is plenty of room to buy just about any skimmer you want. I'm sure someone else here will chime in with the sump dimensions.

...stupid auto correct

salty23

Thanks for the info Mike!
Yeah I may give it a try for abit, I also read that it is verily loud as well.

Hopefully others will chime in with other skimmer options! Thanks guys!

Hey Salty, Gratz on the 650! Start a tank thread when you get going.

The skimmer is excellent. I think it's a bit harder to adjust than most other skimmers, but the performance is outstanding. My issue with it is it is the loudest component in an otherwise fairly silent set up. You may want to give it a go before automatically dropping another $600+ on another skimmer. If you do want to replace it, the sump is far from small in the 650 and there is plenty of room to buy just about any skimmer you want. I'm sure someone else here will chime in with the sump dimensions.

...stupid auto correct

Choff

It's loud if it's in your TV room. Otherwise, you are not going to notice it. Sorry, can't help ya with the dimensions. My stock sump is in storage. I got a little carried away with the mods and replaced mine and relocated it in the basement.

...stupid auto correct

Wolffman64

It's loud if it's in your TV room. Otherwise, you are not going to notice it. Sorry, can't help ya with the dimensions. My stock sump is in storage. I got a little carried away with the mods and replaced mine and relocated it in the basement.

...stupid auto correct

Yeah, just a small "mod", heh? :drool:

Wolffman64

I am using the stock skimmer in my 500, and it's not that loud, but just as mike says, the rest of the system is very quiet. The skimmer performs fantastically well though, mine is really ripping out gunk from the water!

salty23

Yeah, its going to be in my living room and the family might not appreciate the loud noise coming out from the cabinet. I guess I could always run it for awhile and change it down the road. I've read quite a few threads and many people have replaced the Stock S650 skimmer. I just thought there would be more options out there that I didn't know about yet. Thanks for everyone that has provided me with suggestions! If anyone comes across anything else, please let me know.

Choff

I set mine on a timer to turn off from 7 to 10 pm every night. Otherwise it's easy enough to turn it off manually when you want, just don't forget to turn it back on (which I did a lot)

...stupid auto correct

Mdk16

I'm using the stock skimmer and don't find it loud at all. It takes some time to dial in but if adjusted properly it runs relatively quiet. I've had skimmers that were almost silent and while the c skim is not silent with the doors shut I can barely hear it.

Choff

I'm using the stock skimmer and don't find it loud at all. It takes some time to dial in but if adjusted properly it runs relatively quiet. I've had skimmers that were almost silent and while the c skim is not silent with the doors shut I can barely hear it.

Did you grow up next to an airport? :D

...stupid auto correct

Mdk16

Lol. My tank really runs quiet. The loudest component is now the tunze osmolator pump. I plugged it into one of the timers so that it does not run at night.

I hope someone in here throws a suggestion because I am looking to replace mine as well.

I have a s 500. The skimmer does a good job when dialed in correctly, but getting it dialed in can be a pain. If you do get it dialed in do not touch anything else. You will find that this tank needs tuning here and there for the overflow. If you make any adjustments which normally happen the skimmer can get out of tune.

Noise wise it's ok. With the door closed it's not bad at all. It's the loudest part of the tank but still not to bad

Now my biggest complaint with the skimmer are the micro bubbles. It drives me nuts. I am picky about it so it may not bug you. Every rsm s tank I have seen has the same issue if running this skimmer. For this reason alone I am shopping for a new skimmer. I have my output going to the right to cut down on the bubbles but it's still horrible.