Skimmer help?

tx29fan

I have a etss800 clone skimmer which runs on a gen-x mak iv pump that is directly behind my sump and tank. The bottom of the skimmer is level with the top of the sump and the 1 1/2 pvc return from the skimmer runs over the top edge and down into the skimmer. I am not getting much skimate. My question is..is the height at which an external skimmer is placed have any effect on the efficiency of it? would moving it down or up help?

Attachments

• skimmer.JPG
    skimmer.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 23

ReefLady

Staff member
Since we have pretty much the same skimmer... where is the water level before the thick foam starts inside the skimmer?

Are there any angles coming off the gate valve? I have two 90's coming off mine and I think it affects the skimming. Trying to add a hose to the end of that completely kills all skimmate production.

T

tx29fan

there is one 90 on the skimmer..then the gate valve..then a 90 where it goes down into the sump. I can adjust the foam, but when I get it higher in the column there are less bubbles. the best reaction I have is when I set it to where the water level (where the foam starts) is at the base of the round reaction column, but then the skimate seems to collect in the tube itself near the top of the collection cup. I have foam over the opening of the reaction chamber in the collection cup..but all the skimate seems to collect on the chamer itself, not drain into my bucket

ReefLady

Staff member
Could be the 90 before the gate valve.

Was it working well before and this is new? Have you cleaned the cup lately?

Also, this is rather disgusting but helps... I blow on the end of the drain line for the collection cup. That clears stuff from the nipple built into the cup so skimmate can get into the cup better.

What are you using as a waste collector? And why are we not just talking on the phone? :D