skimmer help

Robzilla

I need to upgrade to a higher gallon rating protein skimmer. However I need as small of a footprint as possible as I do not have a lot of headroom.

I currently have a Coralife Super Skimmer 65 and that is too tall. It was near impossible to get it in there and getting the collection cup off for cleaning won't be fun.

I also need to keep my wallet in check.

Any suggestions?

Frankie

RS STAFF
Have you considered just upgrading the pump your currently using? From your first post it looks like your looking to get better action. Upgrading the pump just may be the answer and will save you a ton of $$$

Robzilla

Ok that helps a lot Frankie! I wasn't sure if chamber size, etc made a difference as to the gallon rating of a skimmer. I can live with a tight fit inside the stand. I will try the pump first.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Ok that helps a lot Frankie! I wasn't sure if chamber size, etc made a difference as to the gallon rating of a skimmer. I can live with a tight fit inside the stand. I will try the pump first.
It's not all about the amount of water that is in the chamber. It is the amount of air/mixture with water that makes a skimmer and the balance between the two.

The more water being forced, the more air your going to pull in. With a bigger pump you may have to upgrade to a 3/8" air line to allow the air in.

Chamber size will matter depending on what size pump you use.

I read a few things in google on that skimmer and people are having success with this pump

Sedra KSP 3500 Needle Wheel Water Pump - AquaCave

See if a bubble blaster will hook up to that thing :)
YouTube - REEF OCTOPUS BUBBLE BLASTER PUMP HY-5000S

Be cool to see a before and after picture or vid when your done.

Frank

Robzilla

Nice Tom! If I go decide to get a new one down the road, that looks like a good one.

Thanks Frankie. I'll make sure to post the updates on that. It's gonna be a minute though, I'm throwing my dollars at new lights in two days.