skimmer for a 400 gallon tank

Ssullivan

im setting up a 400 gallon tank and i need a recommendation for a out of sump skimmer that will work.

thanks

DaveK

Since not too many people have 400 gal tanks, I think getting an exact brand and model is going to be tough. Most people, unless they are or were a dealer, have only worked with maybe 6 or so skimmers.

About all I can tell you is that I use an ETSS downdraft skimmer on my 125 gal tank, and I have been very happy with it. I can also say that ETSS also makes many models of skimmers and they make several that should work just fine for a 400 gal tank. Something like the ETSS 1400 XR should do a 400 gal tank very nicely, but I have no actual experience with one, so I can't say for sure. See ETSS at Aquarium Filtration Aquarium Filter Filters Marine Filtration Marine Filter Filters Accessories Supplies

I am sure there are plenty of other excellent skimmers you could get. You could also consider getting two smaller skimmers. However, you must keep in mind that all skimmer manufacturers tend to be very "optimistic" about how much water the skimmers can process. As usual, you want a skimmer rated to at least double your tank volume. In other words, for a 400 gal tank, get one that the manufacturer says will do an 800 gal tank.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Knowing how you plan on setting up the sump will help also in determining what type of skimmer you can use.
If you plan on doing a fish room for the equipment I have had great results using the Barr Beckett skimmer. Here is a link:
Austin Oceans - Protein Skimmers
These skimmers are properly rated unlike most like DaveK pointed out.

tektite

Also when you have an idea of what skimmer you want, look for some used ones. Far cheaper than buying new. I just recently bought a skimmer from a local guy, $300 with pump. It'd easily handle 400 gals.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Also when you have an idea of what skimmer you want, look for some used ones. Far cheaper than buying new. I just recently bought a skimmer from a local guy, $300 with pump. It'd easily handle 400 gals.

I fully agree. Equipment is not for beauty. It is for function and I could care less about scratches and such. Much more interested in performance.

DaveK

I also agree with this, but only to a point.

When you buy used check it out carefully, and make sure of the following -

It comes with all the original parts, or replacement parts are obtainable.

The unit has not been damaged or hacked, or it can easily be put back to it's original state. (I use hacked in this sense meaning that the unit has not been ruined by poor modifications. I am not talking about generally accepted modifications done to make a serious improvement.)

The unit has no major repairs that may cause a failure in the future.

Always check out used equipment very carefully, because one you buy it, it's all your, including the old problems it may have.