Skimmer Collection Reservoir

Snelly40

SOoooooo.... last night my fiance and I were watching a movie... Silver Linings Playbook, if you were interested, which is actually a phenomenal movie... anyway, i digress.

We kept hearing this weird popping noise from my fish tank... never a good thing, i open the cabinet and I see bubbles coming out of the top of my Skimmer and the Silencer ... weird.... the cause was the collection cup drain tube placed back at the perfectly wrong angle which was covering the silencer air intake thus causing the skimmer to crazily overflow... after i altered the collection cup angle it filled right back up due to water in the silencer, being this is a new skimmer i remembered the collection cup has a drain so i popped it open and just let the tank water drain back out of the collection cup while i drained the silencer ... once fixed i of course replugged and it's perfect...

this led to me being curious about that drain..
does anyone utilize an external collection cup / container?
i did find this and am intrigued...

http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaC_Au..._Protein_Skimmers-AquaC-AC1713-FIPSAC-vi.html

Last edited:

MrX

On my old system I went low tech; I connected the drain line from the skimmer cup (a Hydor Performer skimmer) to an old laundry detergent jug.

I drilled a hole in the jug cap just slightly smaller than the diameter of the tubing. Then I used silicone to make sure the tubing stayed in place. When it was full I could just unscrew the cap and go empty the jug out in the woods.

When the jug got full it expanded a little but never overflowed... the cup became the backup reservoir at that point.

Snelly40

On my old system I went low tech; I connected the drain line from the skimmer cup (a Hydor Performer skimmer) to an old laundry detergent jug.

I drilled a hole in the jug cap just slightly smaller than the diameter of the tubing. Then I used silicone to make sure the tubing stayed in place. When it was full I could just unscrew the cap and go empty the jug out in the woods.

When the jug got full it expanded a little but never overflowed... the cup became the backup reservoir at that point.

yes... i'm liking the cost of this idea much more as well haha. thanks buddy

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I use a skimmate locker..... Reef octupus to be specific. It has a container on top I fill with carbon to keep the smell down and a float switch that shuts off the skimmer once it is full. Between that and the ANC, my skimmer is pimped out