should i invest in a protein skimmer?

BLADEYAMAHA

It was the first saltwater oriented piece of equipment I bought before even considering starting a marine tank.

jessemac

Definitely get a skimmer. It can be done without one but, requires an increase in water changes and more discipline on the aquarist part. I would run a skimmer and a sump refuge with cheato. Also, the skimmer isn't the place to cut corners. Get a quality skimmer and one rated at minimum of your system capacity to double of what your system capacity. As a couple others have said, your could try an algea scrubber, but I still wouldn't go without a skimmer. Best of luck with your setup. Being you recieved it from another used. Clean the tank and all the equipment thoroughly. I would fill the tank up with tap water, dump about 4 gallons of plain white vinegar in it and put all your pumps, powerhead and anything else you can hook up to run water through for 24 hours, drain and fill back up with tap water again for another 24 hours to clean it all out. Any coralline and and scum built up will rub right off within the first 24 hours. It works and I have used this method, plus it is completely safe.

Tokalosh

Steer clear of Sea Clones however. They're notoriously bad at their job. :)

Phantom good to hear you are getting a skimmer; I think you will rest easy at night in the knowledge that you have one on your tank.

Funland3 I would not knock the Sea Clones skimmer. I had one for 4 years without any problems. Once you dial it in correctly it pulls skiment from the water like a freight train.

Tok

michael_cb_125

Unfortunately, ASM skimmers are not considered an expensive skimmer (although they are not cheap). For a 100 gallon aquarium you are going to need a relatively decent sized skimmer. Why is it that you are wanting an Out of Sump skimmer, do you have a sump?

IMO there is not a reliable set and forget HOB skimmer. I have owned everything from Red Sea (junk) to a Deltec MCE600 (expensive junk) and I just dont feel as though there is any HOB skimmer worth the money they cost.

~Michael

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I good skimmer is a great idea imo

+1 - There are tons of cheaply made chinese skimmers out there that are a total waste of money.

many skimmer just don't work... take your time & get a good recommendation here...

Let me post a pic of your tank again & I am sure some members can offer a recommendation on a good value one ! (mine is built in aio)

IMG_0729.jpg

michael_cb_125

In my opinion the best skimmers out there are the Tunze DOC line of skimmers. They are made to be placed directly in the tank. They are made very well, perform nicely and really dont stand out in the DT.

I have used the Nano DOC and the DOC906. I used the DC906 on a 150 gallon heavily stocked system and it performed wonderfully.

Plus if you decide to use a sump, they can be converted to an in-sump skimmer (supplies included).

They are a bit pricey but are worth the extra cash.

~Michael

phantom2991

fyi: i wanted the out of sump skimmer because, while i have a sump, i had not installed it because the person i bought everything from hadnt had it installed for a while and it was gross and i thought that it was possibly un-salvageable, but my wonderful hubby took it apart today and cleaned the whole thing with vinegar and althought it doesnt look good as new,we hooked it up and it is working perfectly.

phantom2991

it was really thanks to all of you. he doesnt like to spend money at all, but he took one look at the pics and told me to get whatever i needed. :) you all are the best!!