Should I get a Red Sea Max tank?

coolio21

Hey everyone! :D

I'm currently a 1st time 14gallon biocube owner. I started my tank on April 15th. Right now in my tank, I have a coral beauty, maroon clown, and a four line wrasse. For coral I have tree, 2 hammer, rose brain, acan, green star polyps, purple mushrooms, and 3 different zoas. For creatures I have a purple pincushion urchin, fire shrimp, 5 snails, 4 crabs.
Even though everything is doing good, my fish deserve a bigger home and to be honest it's more so that I can add more coral. It's so addicting once you see all the kinds of coral you can buy. So I was thinking of getting the 35 gallon red sea max tank. Since the filtration system is like the biocube and its the size I was looking for, not anything bigger. And to get any other tank I would have to add the lighting and sump myself, which is more of a hassle and pricey. My local aquarium store offered to sell it to me for $640. I wanted to know the pros and cons of this tank, I heard it might need a chiller? Is the stand sold separately?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
You have come to the right place to ask about RSM tanks
009.gif

I bought my 1st swt ( a RSM 130D) about two years ago & have run it stock with fantastic success, I loved it so much, I just recently bought a RSM 250.

The FTS thread is full of hundreds of wonderful RSM tanks - be sure to look through them, you can see all the great corals & fish you can have
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/37227-full-tank-rsm-photos.html

I have never ran a chiller, I keep the ambient temp in our home at around 73 year round.

Most come with the top of the line quality stand, everyone agrees that are very nice stands - but you can get one without.

Gavin1110

Pro's:
you can get home set it up and start your tank.
It's a good starter tank. (you have experience)
Looks good. Nice glass.

Con's:
Water level issue in the back chamber.
Skimmer issues (does not function properly) (many replace)
Lighting issues (underpowered) (some replace)
Needs additional flow (K2 powerhead is an easy fix)
No fuge.

tnwillia

+1^, it's a great starter and learning tank. If you deside to modify it later there is a lot that can be done. The only thing still original on mine is the tank. Have fun!

Toddy81

Its an awesome tank especially if you want a plug and play tank. the lights are good and will support most corals.

Ive got one the only addition I have is a Vortech MP10w ES which I added today. Apart from that I have done nothing.

I highly recommend it. As its so easy to use and looks awesome. Plus the DVD etc that comes with it are great. Idiot proof!!!

9/10 for the RSM130D from me.

shingo43

since you already had experience I do not recommend you another all in one tank. I had my red sea max for about 4 months and I spent too much on modding, skimmer, pumps, heater, media rack etc... But anyway RSM is a great beginner tank. If I were you I'll start a 40 breader or 46 bowfront, with sump. In that case you can pretty much customize anything

coolio21

You have come to the right place to ask about RSM tanks
009.gif

I bought my 1st swt ( a RSM 130D) about two years ago & have run it stock with fantastic success, I loved it so much, I just recently bought a RSM 250.

The FTS thread is full of hundreds of wonderful RSM tanks - be sure to look through them, you can see all the great corals & fish you can have
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/37227-full-tank-rsm-photos.html

I have never ran a chiller, I keep the ambient temp in our home at around 73 year round.

Most come with the top of the line quality stand, everyone agrees that are very nice stands - but you can get one without.

Thanks alot I'll be sure to check those out :]

coolio21

Pro's:
you can get home set it up and start your tank.
It's a good starter tank. (you have experience)
Looks good. Nice glass.

Con's:
Water level issue in the back chamber.
Skimmer issues (does not function properly) (many replace)
Lighting issues (underpowered) (some replace)
Needs additional flow (K2 powerhead is an easy fix)
No fuge.

With the lighting issues, do they go out or need to be replaced because, they aren't powerfuly enough? Did you have to replace all these things? Thanks for your response I appreciate it. :)

coolio21

+1^, it's a great starter and learning tank. If you deside to modify it later there is a lot that can be done. The only thing still original on mine is the tank. Have fun!

Thanks! :) If I ever modify anything it will have to be in the far future. lol

coolio21

Its an awesome tank especially if you want a plug and play tank. the lights are good and will support most corals.

Ive got one the only addition I have is a Vortech MP10w ES which I added today. Apart from that I have done nothing.

I highly recommend it. As its so easy to use and looks awesome. Plus the DVD etc that comes with it are great. Idiot proof!!!

9/10 for the RSM130D from me.

Wow nice tank! I tried adding a wrasse like yours in my tank and it almost got eaten alive buy my clown and filamented flasher wrasse I use to have. So I had to return it. Thanks and you haven't had any problems with the tank with the skimmer, lighting etc?

coolio21

since you already had experience I do not recommend you another all in one tank. I had my red sea max for about 4 months and I spent too much on modding, skimmer, pumps, heater, media rack etc... But anyway RSM is a great beginner tank. If I were you I'll start a 40 breader or 46 bowfront, with sump. In that case you can pretty much customize anything

It would be great if I could go custom on everything but unfortunately it's not in my budget though :/

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Very few, if any at all, run the tanks 100% stock. In the 130/130D they usually at least add an additional powerhead in the back right corner, or have a small one circulating water behind the rock. Many add a higher dollar Vortech MP10 in a 130/130D. "Near stock" would be a better term. :) In the larger 250 a Vortech is often added to get some intermittent flow that's good for corals, but not a necessity.

Here's a recent thread you might find interesting:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/65893-must-haves-new-130d.html

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I call my RSM 250 stock, even though it now has an MP 10, I don't think it requires one at all, but it was a nice addition though & from the time my new MP10 arrived at the door until I opened it and had it working in the tank running was like 3 minute latter :) supper easy install, plug it in & attach like a magfloat & turn on (my kind of add-on)

I then started reading the instructions...

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
That's 100% for sure ! I have been telling everyone... from what I read, they are great, I now can say that 1st hand !!!

Last edited by a moderator: