Shed Aquarium is no competition to RS!

Craig Manoukian

Well, went to the Shed Aquarium in Chicago this weekend and while they had some very interesting exhibits, none of their tropical reef displays hold a candle to most ofg the tanks here on RS. They have several salt water exhibits complete with hair algae and cyano bacteria so take heart.

The one good thing I did take from their large salt water fish only display was a resounding reminder that most of our tanks are too small for the fish communities we have. Seeing the multitude of tangs, wrasses, and angels swimming freely in a huge tank made me more committed to keeping less and smaller fish in my personal tank.

Keep up the good work all you RS reefers!:) :wave:

Melanie

Thanks for the review!

I agree about the overstocked tanks so I'm only going to have 5 small fish in my 72 gallon. None over 3". I'll use fun inverts to make it look more alive!

DrHank

I also agree. Less is best. I moved up to a 210 gallon not so that i could have more fish but because I felt my fish and corals didn't have enough room in my 110 gallon.

DrHank

No. Have been to the Tennessee Aquarium, Aquarium of the Americas in New Orleans, Sea World, and a long time ago Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute.

blue_eyes53813

Ive been to the Shed Aquarium before.. Not the best place but its Ok.. What made you leave California Craig? You was way over here by me. Hope you had a nice trip

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Yeah, they can't compete with the Baluga whale I have!:lol:. It's been about 15 years since I've been there, it must be going downhill because I thought it was awesome! I have also been to the National Aquarium in Baltimore and the Aquarium of the Americas.:D

cioutlaw

Ive been to Shedd many times but it has been awhile. Indianapolis Zoo is supposed to have a new display that you walk under the tank, im only 1.5 hrs away so I need to go check it out. There is supposed to be a really nice aquarium in Georgia, anyone know of it?

Frankie

RS STAFF
Damn Craig, you made me want to dump a few of the 18 fish i have in my 120! lol! But really, I have 4 tangs that get along just fine in there. Actually, they tend to school together all the time. I think my feeding habits help a lot with the way my fish get along. I provide a lot of nori morning and night for them. If they were competing for algae i think things would be different. It really depends on the keeper imo.
Atlantis Marine World in NY Long Island is small but very well cared for. The reef there is 20,000 gallons. Has to be the best reef i have seen for it's size. A must see if you are in NY.