Setup and timing for new aquariums

screefguy

Hey all,
I have an odd topic for you. I have listened to alot of post of how people prepare there tanks for fish, Coral and so on. My question is has anyone else other than myself found that the standard advise isnt always what works best.

I run a Redsea Max 130 and a 250. I started with a 35 gal octagon. and not once did I follow the store advise and I have had 100% success rate.

redsea reefer

All tanks are different, if it works for you then great but something good in one tank might be bad for another.

The best thing I can say is, follow general guidelines and find what works best for you...:)

Conched

There are so many variables to an individual set up that there could never really be a perfect set of rules that would apply every time other than going by the most conservative advice. I have set up around a dozen aqariums over the years some fresh some saltwater and they have all been different.

The one I am working on now is probably one of the more intersting exceptions that tends to go against the grain. I had a few (decent sized)fish in the tank after 2 weeks. Not one little spike in ammonia. The variable was I was able to use about 45-50 pounds of "cured" live rock, and I also used about 60 lbs of live sand. Ever gallon of water was using store bought aqarium saltwater (no phosphates).Most people do not get the advantage of fully cured live rock. The LFS I use keeps all of his live rock in a holding tank under good lighting with fish, filtration, the whole nine yards. The rock was in his tank for about 30 days when i purchased it. So having said that I would never tell somebody to go ahead and add an expensive fish to a reef tank with fresh live rock and dead sand after 2 weeks.

I am guessing you may have bucked the system a few times and pulled it off.

Please share.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Conched - similar situations here in setting up SW tanks 4 times - fully cured rock, a bacterial additive (that might have helped), and no measurable cycle other than some low nitrates to start. Fish in the tanks in a week and no ammonia or nitrites in all 4 cases. I'm a firm believer in really fully cured rock - not pre-cured or even what a lot of places like to call cured (but isn't).

Conched

Conched - similar situations here in setting up SW tanks 4 times - fully cured rock, a bacterial additive (that might have helped), and no measurable cycle other than some low nitrates to start. Fish in the tanks in a week and no ammonia or nitrites in all 4 cases. I'm a firm believer in really fully cured rock - not pre-cured or even what a lot of places like to call cured (but isn't).

Terry - I agree with you 100%. It is just so hard for somebody to be able to identify "cured" LR, especially the good stuff like a fiji. I set up a 28gallon Nanocube with some Cured aquacultured rock a few months ago. That rock was out of the gulf of Mexico and into my tank in about 48 hours. Absolute minimal die off. The problem, absolute minimum die off. You would not beleive the critters in that rock. There were huge clinging crabs, a mantis shrimp, about a dozen manjano anemones, parasitic ispods and the list goes on. So while the water params were rock solid from the start, I can't say i would ever reccomend cured aquacultured live rock. it's pretty, but a PITA.

So many variables. Interesting thread.

Matt

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Matt - I've heard of all kinds of pest problems with the aquacultured rock from Florida & the Gulf. I even know of one poor soul with a large tank that gave up the hobby due to so many mantis shrimp in his Florida aquacultured rock. Mine was very well cured by a guy with a great reputation for having fully cured rock. Unfortunately I had a few majanos on it, thought they were interesting and left them, and I've fighting the little buggers ever since.

russbooger

Matt - I've heard of all kinds of pest problems with the aquacultured rock from Florida & the Gulf. I even know of one poor soul with a large tank that gave up the hobby due to so many mantis shrimp in his Florida aquacultured rock. Mine was very well cured by a guy with a great reputation for having fully cured rock. Unfortunately I had a few majanos on it, thought they were interesting and left them, and I've fighting the little buggers ever since.

Terry, whats a majano?