Setting up new 130D

ToeSloth

Never got an initial email when I registered and dint get anything last week either. So don't feel bad! ;)

Chris

mzreenie

I haven't posted anything in a very long time!! My tank is doing GREAT. It's 15 months old now - I am still using the stock skimmer and pumps, and I did add a Vortech MP20. I've had great luck using only Distilled Water for my PWC's as well. I've lost a few things here and there, but I have learned a lot along the way. My current inhabitants are: pair of B&W Clowns, one Royal Gramma, one YWG, one Blue Starfire Damsel, one Lawnmower Blenny, and one Flame Hawkfish. My corals include a few mushrooms and zoa's, GSP, pulsing zenia, hammer coral, superman ricordia, two plate corals (hitchhikers), one SPS which I think is called a Pineapple SPS, one red and one green Monti. I have a blue-legged hermit, a red-legged hermit, a sand-sifting starfish and various snails. I no longer have any shrimp because they keep disappearing without a trace. I suspect that what I think is a gorilla crab is eating them up. They are not just molting where I would see traces remaining, they just disappear.

And as of yesterday I have two BTA's - I had one, but yesterday it split. I did a lot of reading online here at RS and at "Karen's Rose Anemone Portal", and after researching both sites I believe that the Anemone's split was not caused by stress, but that it is a happy camper!! The two BTA's are hiding out just a little in a shadier spot than prior to the split, but are slowly coming out of hiding. They are both bubbled up and have very good color - in fact one is much more colorful than before the split. I'm keeping an eye on them, but I really think they are doing OK. My water parameters are excellent, and everything in the tank is doing great and growing.

Besides the gorilla crab I have another inhabitant which is getting on my nerves!!!! I can't remember the name, but it is those snails that send out the thread-like webs throughout the tank. These things are a nuisance in my opinion and they are spreading. They have such sharp edges and I tried scraping away a few of them, but they came back. I think I will have to use the superglue trick soon, unless someone has a better solution.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hello - great to have you give us an update!!! Everything sounds good (except the crab and shrimp disappearing), and congrats on the BTA splitting. Those web spinning snails are vermetid snails. I have one that's on the back of one of my Astrea snails, but thank goodness that's the only one I've seen lately. Post us some pictures if you get the time! :)

mzreenie

Ah, vermetids, that's right. Well I started out with one, but now I have about 6 of them, so if you don't like them get rid of him now!! I am a really terrible photographer and I don't have a very good camera, but maybe I will take a few pics soon.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
We love ALL pictures - you should have remembered that! :)

I'm not sure how I'd get the vermetid off of the Astrea - I think they've become one now. I suppose I could seal in the vermetid with some superglue gel. I used to have more of them - maybe my fish have managed to eat the others.