Selling my Red Sea Max 130

tyleratl

Well, I can no longer resist the urge to move up to a larger reef tank! My Red Sea Max has worked so well that there is no more room for anything else. I love the idea of an RSM 250, but I figure that I should now buy the largest tank that will fit in my condo. I've decided on an Oceanic 90 gallon bowfront that someone is selling locally.

My first thought was to wait until I have the Oceanic tank and then transfer my livestock to the new tank. However, I began to wonder if someone might be interested in buying everything - live rock, coral, fish, etc. If not, I'll just transfer everything, clean the tank really well with vinegar, and then sell it empty.

If you guys have any friends or family in the Atlanta area that want an "instant reef," check out the website that I just slapped together: http://web.mac.com/tyleratl

mbdave

Great deal on the tank but just a word of advice "bow fronts are kind of a PITA" Try the Oceanic Tech Tanks......SWEET!

tyleratl

Thanks Terry. iWeb makes it pretty quick and easy! Dave, I saw the Tech tanks and agree. Beautiful. But, I have a little nook that I think would look even better with a bowfront. The negatives that I see are mainly lighting restrictions and depth. There are fewer options for lighting because the sides are only 12.5 inches wide. As for the depth, I'll need my step ladder to reach the bottom. The lighting that comes with the tank is a Current Nova Extreme 8 T-5 fixture with 432 watts of lighting. That's nearly 5 watts per gallon. Still, I wouldn't place corals that need the most light at the bottom of that deep tank.

This is the tank I am buying:

web.jpg

Sapphire

sounds liek you have it all pretty well planed out.

I can certainly understand the desire for a bigger tank!

tyleratl

Very nice! Does it come with a sump? Is the dog toy part of the deal as well? :)

Yes, it does come with a sump and Coralife protein skimmer. The dog toy should be included as I have an English Bulldog who would like it :goofy: .

I changed my mind on selling my live rock, corals, and fish with my RSM. I'm just going to transfer them over to my new tank when I get it set up. This will, of course, lower the entry price for a lucky newbie somewhere in Atlanta ;).

Last edited:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Good idea on keeping the contents - it'll not only save a few $ setting up the new tank, but may help sell an empty tank quicker.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Someone has their RSM set up for seahorses, but darned if I can remember who. I'm not sure if he cut the current down or not.

tnwillia

I read it also when I first started lurking here last year. Got it in my head he changed the pumps. Thinking maxi-jets but may have that confused with something else. I've had 130 in the back of my mind for some time now for that purpose setting by my 250. Who knows, might work.

tyleratl

Well, I ended up not buying the Oceanic 90 gallon bowfront because the guy that was selling it was not ready to let me take delivery. Instead, I bought a 90 gallon All Glass reef-ready tank with sump. I am still pondering what to do with my beloved RSM 130. The Seahorse idea that you guys tossed out there is interesting. Other than running a single pump, what else would I need to change for Seahorses?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I'd ask SeahorseBT that question. Other than less flow I'm thinking you'd need a lot of perching spots for the horses to wrap their tails around - maybe plants or ? I assume you're moving the corals to the new 90? I'm only guessing that you wouldn't want any corals that could sting the seahorses? Or anemones that might eat them? I haven't read SeahorseBT's thread in a while, but check out what he's done:

SeahorseBT's Seahorse RSM

tyleratl

I'd ask SeahorseBT that question. Other than less flow I'm thinking you'd need a lot of perching spots for the horses to wrap their tails around - maybe plants or ? I assume you're moving the corals to the new 90? I'm only guessing that you wouldn't want any corals that could sting the seahorses? Or anemones that might eat them? I haven't read SeahorseBT's thread in a while, but check out what he's done:

SeahorseBT's Seahorse RSM

Yeah, current plans are to move everything to the new 90 gallon. If I decide to keep the RSM, I would need to obtain some more live rock or implement some other type of biological filtration such as what Red Sea ships with the RSM.