Selling a house with a tank ?

cjrudy

My wife and I are relocating to Tampa Florida next year and plan on putting our house on the market early next year. I have a 90 gallon mixed reef with a basement sump and I am wondering whether to keep it up while showing the house, or tear it down prior.

I am sure lots of reefers out there have been in the same situation, what did everyone do ?

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
When we sold our house last year we left our tank up and running. Now we didn't have a basement sump so there were no holes going though the floor and I think that is what may scare some potential buyers. Is the plan to fix the holes prior to selling? What does your real estate agent say?

gpdno

Unless your going to list the house on reef friendly boards, I'd say it is a liability. You might try wording the listing such that the buyer could have the tank with the purchase price. But I think overall it's better to remove it. Especially if by removing it, you would have to repair/replace anything. Otherwise you'll likely to get an offer, only to have the buyer come back after an inspection requesting a discount on the price to remove/repair 'damage'

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oxylebius

I would jump at the chance to buy a house with plumbing and floor support already set-up, but as many have already commented, most people won't go for it and it can bring down the price of a house especially if you want a quick closing.

Although, I wonder if you are pro-active on local/regional reefing sites and Craigs-list, what would happen if you got the word out before it goes on the market, stir interest of the tank set-up in the house, if this would help the sale of the house w/o having to tear down/repair the house?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I'd find out the cost to have the floor repaired and leave the tank up. If someone complains you can either fix it or deduct it from the price - give the options but at the end of the day it's a non issue if you address it like that. This way if you get a buyer who likes it you're set!

Steve L

There are too many downsides to leaving the tank there. You may find a guy that's thrilled with it but his wife many not like the size, where it is, or has a piece of furniture in mind for the spot your tank is in. Remember if a couple or family is buying the house they both need to like the tank.

yankieman

I was interested in this question as well ,, we have a 209gal built into the wall which I am not going to take down to sell my home so even though it may deter some people I will just have to wait for someone that wants the tank,,,

cjrudy

Thanks for the input everyone, I think we are leaning toward taking it down. As a few have said , it will raise too many questions.

No the question is how many month do I need to sell the coral fish, then tear down and sell everything. We plan to have the house on the market by March 1st 2015

Oxylebius

Thanks for the input everyone, I think we are leaning toward taking it down. As a few have said , it will raise too many questions.

No the question is how many month do I need to sell the coral fish, then tear down and sell everything. We plan to have the house on the market by March 1st 2015

Where do you live? Start advertising on local forums and here!