Seb's new Reefer 250 set up

smoreau1

Hello everyone, after spending a couple months looking for a used RSM 130D with all accessories for around $750, I found a deal a couldn't pass on a brand new Red Sea Reefer 250.

The guys at Eheim bought it to compare it to their new plug and play system (coming out in May) which btw look awesome. Much lower and come with everything you need. Since their work was done with it, they let it go to me for a real good price.
a6f039ebfadb2461bbd521f68da3bae9.jpg
2e4c8b8a33ddb1b734c73faa1980f1bf.jpg

You can see my Reefer 250 on the right being unplugged.

Anyway now I am tank poor but I got a Ferrari of a tank and I want to do it right and take my time.

I'll be traveling for 20 days in March so I have time to ask questions and search the classified to find the used equipment I need to get started (unless you think some of it should be new). Planning on starting the cycling on April 2nd (after my trip).

I need help figuring out what to buy and what to do first.

I had a 7.5 gal reef ten years ago for two years but had to sell it when my wife got pregnant. I'm 40 now and it's my birthday present to myself.

So I guess I'm gonna start looking for the return pump and the skimmer first (to do the leak test). Then RO/DI system, sand, LR and light (those Radion looks great but man they're pricey).

Time is on my side for now but I really need your help guys. I'm no Bob Villa but I can McGiver thing when I need to ;-)

This will also be my first blog so bare with me.

This is so exciting. Thanks for reading and thanks to the lovely people at Eheim, you Rock!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DaveK

If your going away for 20 days in march, the best thing to do is to set it up after you come back.

There is nothing wrong with getting used equipment, but make sure it's really in good shape and any modifications to it would be one you would want for yourself.

smoreau1

I'm definitely going to take my time and wait until I get back.

Is RO/DI a must? If so, what should I be look for?

BTimmons

Congrats on the new tank!

Assuming you want to keep corals, an RO/DI is the way to go for most people. Unless you live somewhere with excellent tap water you will need some form of filtration to get your water to 0 TDS. Best to figure out what kind of filtration you need based on what's in your water supply. Mine personally has super high nitrates from farm run-off. Then you can decide what size of a system you need, as your filtration needs will determine the number of chambers necessary.

If there is a local reef club around you they can be a good source of used gear. But with an RO/DI system, depending on the size, you can spend almost as much replacing old cartridges and membranes as you could buying a new system fully equipped. Just something to consider when shopping.

Good luck!

Mjcj34g

Not to plug any specific companies......... but, I purchased a 5 stage RO/DI from air, water and ice for a fair price 2 years ago. I have only changed the carbon, coconut and floss filters one time. I still get 0 TDS. Im really happy with it. I can't help you on lights as I ran Chinese lights for 2 years and finally upgraded to auqiallumination hydra 26 HD's a couple of days ago. Get back to me in few months and I will let you know how I feel about them

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

DaveK

I...

Is RO/DI a must? If so, what should I be look for?

A very very few people have tap water that is of such high quality that they do not need RO/DI water. So RO/DI is not a "must" for everyone, but for most people, I'd say an RO/DI unit is just about required for a tank of any size.

smoreau1

Thank you for all the great comments, so I'll get my water tested first and we'll go from there.

Now I did some research and I'm thinking of getting:

Bubble Magus Curve 5
Eheim compact + 3000 or Jebao DCT3000

Any thoughts?

smoreau1

Great post, thanks nanoreefing4fun. What about the RO/DI pump? Do I really need? Also it seems that the more you pay for your RO/DI, the less water you waste. I'm I right?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
the waste... it's just part of it - it's 4 to 1 some ideas... water your plants or yard with the waste water

most people don't need a booster pump - you need about 65 psi

here is a couple good vids too

smoreau1

Would the Bubble Magus 3.5 be enough for the reefer 250 or should I go with the Bubble Magus curve 5? Not planning on upgrading tank any time soon but I'm thinking a little bigger couldn't hurt.

BTimmons

bd0a81fec77c6b54d78809e179e4e630.jpg

First new inhabitants are officially in the QT! A pair of "da Vinci" clownfish I picked up locally this afternoon. I had been eyeing the snowflake clowns but when I saw these I thought they looked really cool and the price was right.

BTimmons

Sorry about that! Guess I should have jumped in my own thread first. I opted to delete these posts. I guess the mods do it at their convenience? My apologies

smoreau1

Would the Bubble Magus 3.5 be enough for the reefer 250 or should I go with the Bubble Magus curve 5? Not planning on upgrading tank any time soon but I'm thinking a little bigger couldn't hurt.

Also I was wondering something:

Should I cycle my tank with or without the sump and skimmer?

BTimmons

The size of your skimmer sort of relates to things such as how many and which fish you plan on? Some produce more waste than others. Do you feed heavily or sparingly? Do you plan on any carbon dosing? What kind of corals are on your stocking list? Do you plan to keep SPS or anemones that require more pristine water?

I looked at that 3.5 and the description I saw said 25 to 80 gallons. Usually those numbers correspond to the bio load rating. So for example that skimmer may handle a lightly stocked 80 gallon but only a 25 gallon that's heavily stocked with fish and corals. Figure maybe a medium bio load capability of around 50 gallons?

Me personally, I think a little bigger is better. Not too big because that can cause problems of it's own.
If you're sold on the Bubble Magus I'd probably go with the Curve 5 in the 250.

People have different opinions on running a skimmer while cycling. Do what makes you happy.
I didn't plan to run my skimmer during the cycle but I am just to get it broken in and also I will be using the reef mature program from Red Sea which calls for the use of a skimmer.

smoreau1

Ok, today I'm getting cold feet. I've been reading everything on the net for the pass two weeks and didn't find what I was looking for.

Can someone with a reefer 250 get in touch with me please?

Still wondering what to get. After all that reading I thought I knew but now I need someone who experienced all of this.

Help please

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Ask specific questions... whatever (there are no dumb questions, we all started at square one sometime in our sw journey) and I bet some members can help :nessie:

Also remember Red Sea is a RS Sponsor & has great technical support here, you can ask Kev anything related to their tanks.

just "call" him to the questions... like this @RedSeaKev

Andy

I would run your skimmer. It will not lengthen the nitrogen cycle. If skimmers where that efficient there would be no need for so much live rock or chemical filtration and it will give you a month of playing with it and letting it bed in. As for sump I would run that too. Your bacteria through the cycle will need flow and oxygen as well as a nitrifying source so running the sump will not harm anything. Love your tank!

smoreau1

Thanks guys, I'm picking up an mp10wqd and a bubble magus curve 5 tonight and my sicce syncra 3 will be here on Monday.

Now I need to start looking for a heater, sand and live rock but I have no idea yet on what to get (I know I like white better than black).