SeaClone 100

Aquatica

If there is one thing I have learned while starting up is if your gonna buy something research it. I thought i would save a little cash on start up and get a SeaClone 100 protien skimmer. I have come to regret that decision! It is definately not for begginers. It is hard to fine tune it and for the life of me I can't seem to get it to produce any foam. It's relatively noisy and the filter on the pump clogs quickly. Any tips on how to tweak this thing? Otherwise I'm thinking of getting a Remora I hear they work well, any feedback?
Thanks!

yungreefer2410

you could try using a needle-wheel pump for it instead of that maxi jet, i have heard of ppl doing that. but yes research research research

DaveK

Having owned both a Seaclone and a Remora, I can only state that the Seaclone was and still is among the worst skimmers you can get. If at all possible return it. If that is not possible, I recommend it be smashed into oblivion so at to prevent it from being inflicted upon some other reef keeper.

The Remora, while more expensive is an excellent skimmer, especially in modest size tanks where it's not practical to have a sump. I highly recommend the Remora.

The lesson here is to always buy top quality equipment. Yes, it can cost a lot more, but it will work, and it will last. It's the least expensive long term.

DublD

Having owned both a Seaclone and a Remora, I can only state that the Seaclone was and still is among the worst skimmers you can get. If at all possible return it. If that is not possible, I recommend it be smashed into oblivion so at to prevent it from being inflicted upon some other reef keeper.

So true! You can almost blow bubbles through a straw and get better performance. Many of us have gone down that ugly, regrettable path of the Seaclone.

Aquatica

Thanks for telling me what i knew just didnt want to admit lol! Unfortunately my SeaClone epiphany has happened too late and I can not return it. I am planning on getting an AquaC Nano Remora Protein Skimmer in a couple weeks at which time the hammer idea is growing more attractive!
Thanks
Aquatica-

mps9506

You can always just throw it in the closet and use the tubes and stuff for diy parts later on. :D
At least you didn't buy a skilter...