Schooling fish

Reefguard

I am looking for colorful schooling fish that stays small. Any suggestions? It is going in my 100 wide tank. Right now, I have 1 purple tang, one Tomini Tang and a Tomato Clown.

Noel

zy112

i tried firefish but they are to afraid of my tang to venture very far. green chromis usually do

wooddood

the wood dude
green chromis or anthias would be my choice. i have 6 green chromis in my 120 and they school well. reefer addict also hase a school of green chromis. good luck.

ScottT1980

A fairy wrasse harem. They con't exactly "school" per se but man, they are some of the most colorful fish in the sea...

As for exact speices, take a look on liveaquaria and they can provide some options. I know some have had some experience with the fairy wrasse harems here, perhaps they could also jump in...

Take er easy
Scott T.

ReefLady

Staff member
I vote for blue reef chromis. A little more expensive than the greens, but oh so pretty!

Craig Manoukian

All good suggestions. Gobies like the Fire Fish or Banded/Barred like to school as well.

A male flasher wrasse with three or four females would not disappoint for sure!

:) :D :cool: ;) :p :smirk:

i second mps9506 with the longspine cardinals. They are one of my favorite aquarium fish. The blue eyes they have are incredible

BoomerD

Everyone has recommended some very nice fish, and chromis or Talbot's damsel would be my choice.(Talbots by the way, are nice, non-agressive too) and firefish or anthias. Yes, most likely, in a school of anthias, nature would probably take over and make 1 a male, but...
However, from all I've read over the years, schooling is a "threat management" response, and after it's discovered that there is no danger, they tend to become free swimming. Although they might still group up from time to time. Also, even with chromises, I think the pecking order will apply, and the weakest one tends to get killed off...

Reefguard

Thank you for all the responses and suggestions guys and gals. Me and the wife, decide that we will just get a more fish, not necessary schooling just MORE fish in the tank and I bought 2 Bangai cardinals yesterday. I think I am going for a couple of Anthias, and Firefish in a month or so.

MPS, I haven't seen a long spine or glass cardinal fish yet, You wouldn.t happen to have a picture or a link to a picture would you?

Noel

BoomerD

Here's a couple of pics of the Long-spine AKA Thread fin Cardinalfish.
From WetWebMedia:
"Apogon leptacanthus Bleeker 1856-57, Threadfin Cardinalfish. Indo-Pacific including the Red Sea. To a little over two inches in length. Found in dense school in the wild. This group in a friends aquarium."
Apogon_leptacanthusAQTrio.jpg

And from MarineDepotLive:
"The Apogon leptacanthus grows up to 3 inches. The Longspine prefers a tank of at least 20 gallons with plenty of places to hide & swim. The Apogon leptacanthus is a carnivore and likes to eat variety of zooplankton, and meat based seafoods. The Longspine is a low maintenance fish and will be peaceful towards their tank mates. "
marinedepotlive_1788_745010

Boomer great pics, but they dont do that fish justice when seen in person under good lighting. Every move they make flashes a different shade of blue or purple.

well since no one has mentioned them yet, i shall. What about bar gobys, i have a school of 4 in my 120, pretty interesting fish i think...

addict

Like wooddood mentioned, I have a school of 8 chromis in my 120, and they're great fun. I haven't noticed any aggressiveness between them at all, except for when they initially went into the tank and had to establish their pecking order. Even then most of it was mock aggressiveness, with little nips and fin flares than outright battle. My orchid dottyback loves to rush the school and make them scatter, which he does a couple times daily. :D
I also have a small school of 3 Firefish, though they tend to be more free-swimmers than the chromis, and sometimes venture apart in the tank.
The firefish also had to establish a pecking order, and once that was completed their aggressiveness toward one another has subsided.

Good luck with your decision :)