Saying Hello!

Slickcg33

Hey all!!

Just joined these forums and I joined Reef Central forums also. So if you see the same message on there dont get mad! :)

I guess I'll introduce myself. My names Cole, I'm 22 and I live in Gainesville, Fl. I'm currently enrolled in the Police Academy at Santa Fe College Institute of Public Safety (3.5 months down, 3.5 to go!). Hopeful February 2009 graduate and hopeful Law Enforcement Officer to be.

My big addiction now is my aquarium. Its tuff to have such an addicting, expensive and time consuming hobby. (Especially since money is tight until I graduate and get hired.) But its a great hobby as im sure you all know. I'm a newb aquarist so to speak, I've only been dealing with saltwater for about 10 months now and I've had my highs and lows like everyone else. I'm starting to get serious about learning all I can about this hobby (a bit late, but better late then never lol!)

I have two tanks.
The first is my Solana aquarium made by current. Its a 34 gallon Cube that is an all in one system. ( I hope that's not frowned upon here. :/ )

Currently residing in my tank:

Fish:
Clarks Clown
Potters Angle
Hippo Tang. about 10 months old each.

Corals/Inverts:
I have a bubble anemone (which is getting way to large, I don't know what to do with it because my clown would die of depression if I removed it lol)
A torch coral
A hammer Coral
Star polyps
Zoo polyps
Mushrooms
Zena

Sandsifting starfish
2 serpent stars
Coral banded shrimp
Cleaner shrimp
2 emerald crabs
Anemone crab
Snails
Blue leg/Red leg hermits

The light I have on the tank is PC 80 watts. (I haven't upgraded this light due to a lacking budget and also, desires to get a 90 gal aquarium when I get hired on.) I've had most of these corals in my tank for 3 or 4 months and they seem to be surviving on it, just not rapidly expanding except for the anemone. I think it would grow in total darkness lol.

The only issue that I'm having with the tank is the KH is too high 250mg/l ish i think? I don't know how to get it down but with water changes which I'm doing.
Other than that the tank seems to be trucking along well.

My other thank is a 3 Gallon Tom Deco Nano Tank that sits on my desk.
Inhabiting that tank is my true percula, neon bubble anemone, and just some blue legs + live rock.

As i mentioned above my goal is to get a 90 gal aquarium when my economical situations become more promising.
Well that's alittle about me, cant think of anything else really. Its cool to be apart of a community that enjoys this hobby as much as I do!

yungreefer2410

yeah another cole!! so you have 90 watts pc on your solana? i thought they came with there own lights. the hippo tang needs a bigger tank. usually at least 72'' long

Slickcg33

yeah another cole!! so you have 90 watts pc on your solana? i thought they came with there own lights. the hippo tang needs a bigger tank. usually at least 72'' long

Well the pc on my tank is a 80 watt fixture. They do make a pendant lighting for the tank, but its quite expensive and i already had these lights so i choose not to get it.

The tang has been in that tank since its been up (10 months) and hes doing really well. He gets his swimming done by positioning himself in my powerheads and just hangs out there swimming in one spot alot. kinda like a treadmil or a hamster in a wheel lol

yungreefer2410

lol. he gets really big so eventually you should take him back. i would def get a more powerful light. 80 watts is not alot. i would go with t5s