Sand Sifting Star Fish.

polska

I just wanted to know who has this fish.
I started to have some alge on my dsb on thought this may help.

Brucey

Polska .... Yes I have one but my DSB is remote with a shallow sand bed in the main tank. I'm not sure if I'd let one loose in the DSB of a main tank as they can take a lot of the useful critters out of the place. They are however great to watch, long lived and good additions to a reef (IMO)
Brucey

jks1

I agree with Brucey- mine is in my main display and I did see a reduction in critters in the sand bed pretty quick. Have to say my bed is clear though - no algae. If they just worked on rocks...

sarah

I have one of these they are great to watch, mine keeps my sand clean of algae. Mine likes to go up the glass at the front,keeps the cats amouzed for hours. :D
sarah xxx

Tarasco

I have one, and I have seen a reduction in the amount of sand bed critters in my sand bed. However, I never have to worry about algae build up on the sand, everything looks clean.

Instead, I would suggest snails, such as nassarius, turbo, astrea. Depending on the size of your tank you could also try a queen conch, but they get large.

dwall174

polska

I had one that I ended up taking back to the LFS because like the others said, I noticed the sand bed critters being reduced very fast. It also was hidden in the sand all the time. I have noticed a lot more diatom algae on the sand since I took the star out thou. :(

I have also heard that the Nassarius & Cerith snails are good algae eaters.

NaH2O

Contributing Member
First let me welcome you and dwall174 to RS!!! Not sure if I have done that yet...

Here is a link to a similar thread....DSB/Sand Sifting Star

You will find varying opinions on this subject. You want your substrate stirred up, yet the loss of fauna will slow the breakdown of detritus. Hope the above thread helps!

Gina

RS STAFF
We had great success with our Fighting conch! Love this creature! Fighting conches won't climb up your rock work either, they stay on the bed.

dwall174

Originally posted by NaH2O
First let me welcome you and dwall174 to RS!!! Not sure if I have done that yet...
Thanks for the welcome!
I just found this Forum the other day. :D I have been on Reef Central for several years! However they have been having problems with their server lately. So I've been looking for other BB's that offer similar topics. I like your layout & topics here. :)

mps9506

I llove my Tiger Tail cucumber... Conchs are great also. You'll have very clean sand afterwards.
Mike