Sand Cleaning

Quick question. How do you all clean your sand. I assume I can't vaccum it like I did my crushed coral....but it's looking pretty nasty and I never thought about what to do!

Thanks~

Cougra

I use a canistor filter with a gravel cleaner attached to the end to vacumme my sand. I'm not affraid to stir it up a little or syphon out some sand during the process. (I can always add a little more sand if I find I'm syphoning too much off.) I decided to use a canistor filter packed full of mechanical filter media so that I oculd take as much time as I wanted to clean the sand iwthout worrying about draining the tank too much. I also find the outlet of the canistor is good for gently blowing detritus from the rocks and I can quickly catch the gunk that comes out with the intake.

Reefreak

I basically do the same thing as Michelle except I use a Diatom filter every 3 months or so, I do lose some sand but its easily replaced. IMO the Diatom is just more efficient than the canister however I know many people that use Magnums with the micron filter and are very happy with the results.

Not to mention Magnums are much easier to use