Salt creep and slight leak...

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I'm getting some salt creep on the front right outside of my RSM250 (see circled area in photo). I am assuming the plastic has slightly separated from the glass. Can I seal this from the inside of the tank? What should I use?

red_sea_max_250.jpg

PS - that's not my tank, that is the photo from the Red Sea site.

RSMBrent

I had something similar on the lower right corner. It may not be a leak. Mine turned out to be from leaching - water dripping along the seams. Dry it and monitor it to see if that takes care of it.

tnwillia

I had the same as Glenn talks about once or twice. If your going to try to seal the area (I've never done it) I'd lower the water level well below the plastic rim and try to get it dry in the area you think has the leak first, seal a bigger length than the expected leak, then give it 24hours after for the silicone to cure. Good luck!

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
its just spillage down the glass thats evaporated

No, can't be or I would see it leaking from the top. It's there everyday after I wipe it up.

What should I try and seal it with?

Last edited:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Greg does your tank have the glass lip - ledge in the front top inside? Red Sea started adding it to the tanks in 2011 - I think it could be related... maybe Avaid or Kev would be able to expound

Looks like this...

5c170925.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I would see what Avaid thinks.... any chance your pumps pointed up, could cause this? Mine causes salt to accumulate under the hood

from your pic... one more thought... got my ruler out... my water level is 1/2" below my black trim... but my tank is a 2011 one too, not sure if this makes a difference... but they did change them up a bit

RedSea Aviad

RS Sponsor
I would see what Avaid thinks.... any chance your pumps pointed up, could cause this? Mine causes salt to accumulate under the hood

from your pic... one more thought... got my ruler out... my water level is 1/2" below my black trim... but my tank is a 2011 one too, not sure if this makes a difference... but they did change them up a bit

Good Sunday,
I don't think it's a leak.
I'm with Glenn on this one.
Also on the same subject:
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/72617-rsm-brent.html#post1005338
There was no leak.
Keep me posted.
Aviad.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Well when you push on the side panel right there where all the salt is, water comes out.

RedSea Aviad

RS Sponsor
Hello,
Adjust the nozzle in order to prevent splashing in that area.
Try taking a dry paper towel, insert and dry the gap.
If nothing splashes, and after the area has been dried the wetness returns, there might be a small puncture in the seal.
(Since the water is not running down the glass)
Keep me posted.
Aviad

Mine does the same thing. Goes under the frame and comes out the other side in that same corner.

2011-11-14201617.jpg

2011-11-14201609.jpg

2011-11-14201557.jpg

hard to get a pic of water running with the phone.

-JOHN

Wow, that's not cool.

Yeah, nothing really cool about it. If yours acts like mine, it started with some moisture and moved on to a reliable drip over a couple of months.

Dear John,
Try adjusting the right nozzle down a bit, and tell me if the problem is solved.
Thank you,
Aviad

Thanks for the help Aviad!

I had the nozzle like that because of a frag that was there and getting blown away. The picture is a little deceiving. The water is about an inch below the rim and the splashing barely touches the rim. If you look at the first page in my tank thread u can see the normal position of the Pump#2 nozzle. That pump is also smaller than the stock pump.

I have moved it back down and away from the corner. It is not as bad but still drips from evaporation. Biggest pain is the stuff that dry’s on the glass and has to be scraped off with a razor every other day.

Thanks, -JOHN