Salinity readings

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I try to keep mine right at 1.024 this gives me a small amount of "fudge room". I adopted this idea when I was doing manual Top-Offs. This kept the SG from creeping up between top offs. Now that I'm running an ATO I might slowly increase it up to 1.025

Allen

lcstorc

34 PPT.
I want a bit of room for error as well. I will likely leave it there since the smallest tank still does not have an ATO.
If you are using a hydrometer it is important to check it against a properly calebrated refractometer to find out how much it is off. They are rarely accurate but usually consistant if cared for properly. (Rinsed with RO and stored upside down after each use.)

BigJay

15 years ago 1.023 which I believe was the most commonly accepted level at the time, now I am keeping it right around 1.026. I've thought about going higher but since I am trading frags in and out right now and most people keep there tanks in a lower range I think the 1.026 is best.

mantid

Wow, I never really thought of this as a big issue. I have always kept mine at 1.023. I guess it's time to move up and on. I with the poll actually was working on this one becuase i want to see what everyone sets theirs at. Does anyone know what the specific gravity of most large and thriving reefs around the world are?

jimboslice

I wonder why they guy at the fish store wants me to put mine at 1.019??
I went ahead and made mine 1.020, should I raise this?