sabae anemone

marine newbie

I recently got this sabae and it moved in between some rocks. Tonight when I got home I noticed a large white bubble on a rock and when I turned on the lights it was the anemone. It looks like the back of it has come around the rock and is very puffed up and looks attached to the rock with a brownish color around the edges. What is up?

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Welcome to RS! probably shock and acclimation, how old is your tank and what are your latest complete test results?

marine newbie

My tank is 10 mos old. I took water for testing the day I got my anemone. Everything was normal except the alkalinity was low (forgot to take the reading with me) and the calcium was on the low range of normal. She gave me reef carbonate and I have used it 2x in 8 days.

vdituri

They are mainly photosynthetic.
But you can spot feed them from time to time.
They will eat any meaty foods your fish will.
Krill, mysis, clams, shrimp, steak, lobster.
Just kidding on the steak part. No cow. :banghead:

But like I said, most photosynthetic. The spot feeding is just a bonus.
Beware, they will eventually get really big.
What kind of condition is he is now? Any pics?
Alot of the pet stores sell really stressed, pale, white sebaes.
They go through alot to get to us.

BarbMazz

Victor.
You HAVE to post a picture here. You have to show how everything in your tank is leaning AWAY from your sebae. You have to stand next to your tank and show how YOU lean away from your sebae, too. It's a requirement.
Thank you.

:chomp: :eye: :eye: :hallo:

marine newbie

Thanks for the reply. Am home now and got some pictures, but don't know how to post. My readings this morning were: NO3=40, NO2=0, pH=8.5, KH=240, specific gravity= 1.024. He seems happy now. Is moving around and puffing out and in. Now he has come up to the glass and looks like he is dancing for my friend. Can he see?? How do I learn about him?

vdituri

This is a pic of my sebae.
I've had him about a year and a half.
He was about the size of a softball when I got him.
Spot feeding is fine, just keep in mind that it doesn't have to be a huge chunk of fish. A large piece of fish can actually rot while they are digesting it and cause problems for the anemone.

If yours is bleached like alot of the ones at the pet store, it is a good sign if they are still able to grab food. Sticky.

2008_04180001.jpg

marine newbie

maybe mine is not a seabe. it is more of a golden color, sort of opaque, irridescent where it takes on pinkish-purplish with a white soft puffy back that reminds me of a mushroom. when I asked at the fish store that is what I was told. Now it is laying face downwith the back puffed up. Sort of reminds me of shag carpet..flowing. still trying to post photo

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Thanks for the reply. Am home now and got some pictures, but don't know how to post. My readings this morning were: NO3=40, NO2=0, pH=8.5, KH=240, specific gravity= 1.024. He seems happy now. Is moving around and puffing out and in. Now he has come up to the glass and looks like he is dancing for my friend. Can he see?? How do I learn about him?

nitrate levels are WAY too high, salinity is a little low 1.026 would be more comforting, what have you for lighting

vdituri

Like I said. They go through alot of morphs.
It took me almost 6 months of searching to find a picture of one that looked anything like mine. I thought it was sick because it wasn't white with puffy tentacles. As they get more settled in and start to reclaim their symbiotic algae they will start to get spots and then darken. Mine is pretty close to pinky flesh color.

For photos, try a file hosting site like Photobucket. You upload your photos on there. Click on the Img link at the bottom of the photo. It will say "copied" then you can come here, start your response and then right click on your mouse and "copy" the link to the photo into your response. It will appear in your response at full size.

marine newbie

lighting is Orbit 60" 4 lamp 65 watt 24 hr system. How do I get my nitrates down besides water changes? I do that every 2-3 weeks. I have a super c protein skimmer and a cannister filter system. Live sand and rock. My camera is on the blink and I live in the boonies and have to have everything shipped. Want to get pictures up. What about some kind of nitrate reducing equipment??

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
lighting is Orbit 60" 4 lamp 65 watt 24 hr system. How do I get my nitrates down besides water changes? I do that every 2-3 weeks. I have a super c protein skimmer and a cannister filter system. Live sand and rock. My camera is on the blink and I live in the boonies and have to have everything shipped. Want to get pictures up. What about some kind of nitrate reducing equipment??

sorry, not enough light, it will probably climb the rock to get closer, the cannister filter unless cleaned every couple of days is going to give you surplus nitrate, as for equipment? you already have it, water and salt lol

Debby

Here is a pic of my rose after 5 months in a 58 gallon tank with corallife light system 2 blue and 2 white bulbs she has been in same place all this time,I give her 1 small silverdale a month and the rest she catches when i feed wich is bien with mysis every other day.I do not have halides hear they are really good working on geting them but she and everything else is doing great without them. I am new to all this but hope this helps
Debbsfish054.jpg