Ryan's 38 Gallon

medicern

Thanks for the kind words, Dave and/or Tracy! I had the overflow box itself quite from a DIY Gurgle buster, but how do you tolerate the obnoxious water cascade down the drain line to the sump. That's were all my noise is coming from.

medicern

Update:
Well after all my heartache, things are back on track. What I've learned is that a 5 gallon is a small QT, but better than none. My YWG seems to be doing great in there. He's active and eating like a champ. My DT is clean and looks great. I feed it maybe every 4th day with 1/2 of a cube of either mysis or spirolina with mysis. Water checked out ok this morning and the coral all looks to be quite happy. As does the CUC. Would it be acceptable to put new frags in the DT while I wait my 8 weeks? My plan from now on is to dip all new corals and QT all new fish. My wife wants to replace the Orchid Dottyback (or as it is referred to by my two year old son, Purple Fish), so I think that'll be the first new fish to be replaced. I'm also considering not putting in two clowns, but rather one, so I can diversify with more variety of fish. I'm not super interested in any breeding at this time. Thanks again for all the support, RS is the BEST reef information source on the www.

medicern

Well, I'm on day 21 of being fishless in the DT. It's hard to wait and I stare at the tank each day longing to see fish swimming around. The corals seem fine, which is good for my sanity. Downstairs in the QT, Gus (my YWG) seems quite happy. I know he'll love to get back into his true home. I've decided I will be getting him a shrimp to pair with (or try). Any suggestions? The first fish back will be a replacement Orchid dottyback. My wife loved that fish, as did I. I guess that's my update for now. I'm shooting for May 1st to see a fish back in the DT!!! The countdown continues.

Robzilla

Good to see you sticking with it! The 8 weeks will be over before you know it. Glad to hear the corals are doing well. My PF300 should be in today and I will let you know how that goes.

medicern

Well, yesterday I was blessed when the aquarium fairy stopped by and delivered a new light fixture for my tank. It's a Coralife 4 bulb T5HO with LED moon lights. Have a look below. Everything seems to be happy. Also notice the new scape. I had to dismantle it to get Gus out of there when the ich struck. So I took the opportunity to bust up some of the huge rocks I had so I could have more options for scaping. I added a second powerhead to eliminate dead spots behind the rock, since it rests on the back glass. This I hope will allow my fish to be more visible when I get them.
New lights:

4 bulb fixture by Kristen and Ryan, on Flickr

Moon Lit:

moon lights by Kristen and Ryan, on Flickr

Corals:

DSC01342 by Kristen and Ryan, on Flickr

DSC01343 by Kristen and Ryan, on Flickr

DSC01344 by Kristen and Ryan, on Flickr

DSC01345 by Kristen and Ryan, on Flickr

Robzilla

Those corals look great and seem happy with the new lights! I wish the aquarium fairy would bring me new lights.

Robzilla

Hey buddy I posted a link in my thread of a silencer that costs less than $2 and works great. There will always be the sound of trickling water but any overflow is going to make a little bit of sound no matter what. The one I made drastically reduced the volume though and I am very happy.

medicern

Update:
I just placed my first online livestock order. I ordered an ORA Orchid Dottyback from Premium Aquatics. In addition I ordered a fighting conch and some snails to enhance my CUC. The orchid will head to the QT when he arrives. Let the revival begin!!!

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Good luck! Did you supply sand for Gus in the QT or did you leave it bare?

medicern

UPDATE:
Today I resurected the sump. I purchased a new pump, Maxi-jet 1100. I was nervous if it was going to be powerful enough, but it's working fine. After quite a bit of tuning, I have the drain line almost silent. I'll wait to see if it passes "the wife test" tonight when I get home from work. The pump seems to hum a bit more that I'd like it to. Do pumps "break in" and quiet down or it is what it is? I'm looking forward to getting home and seeing the floor still dry. It's a nervous first day. Everything else is going on just fine.

medicern

Rob, I built a gurgle buster and really just tried to fine tune the flow...high enought to keep bubbles out of the U-tube and low enough to be quite. It's a tricky proposition. I hope to get it more quiet as I tweak it some more.

Robzilla

Nice. I made a buster and soon I will be upgrading my return pump. Good to see that you got the Eshopps working for ya!

medicern

The wait is over. My tank is back at it with fish swimming!!!! Here are the pictures of my fish out of QT and in the DT. First is Gus the lone survivor. What a tropper! Next are my two new ORA Oscellaris Misbar Clowns. I hope you like them. They are a bit tough to photograph, as they seem to be camera shy.

Gus by Kristen and Ryan, on Flickr

Misbar Clowns by Kristen and Ryan, on Flickr

Misbar 2 by Kristen and Ryan, on Flickr

Misbar 2 by Kristen and Ryan, on Flickr

Thanks for all the help during this long wait! RS Rocks!

medicern

Hello everyone. Here is a long overdue update on my aquarium.
The clowns I added awhile ago are in the process of deciding who "will wear the pants" in the family. I have also added a beautiful royal gramma. He took the place of the orchid dottyback I lost, and he's a absolute joy to watch. Always swimming in the open, then the second the lights go out he darts off to his sleeping spot. There are also a couple pictures of my soft corals and the only coral addtion is the zoas. They are great, they look a bit uphappy since they just went through a water change. I'm hoping to add some more corals this weekend via craig's list purchase. I'll post pictures if it goes through. So here's the visual aids. Please enjoy!

DSC01704.jpg

DSC01697.jpg

DSC01703.jpg

DSC01701.jpg

DSC01694.jpg

DSC01705.jpg