Runaway mushroom!

dwall174

I have a nice looking medium size green striped mushroom that hitchhiked on a new piece of zoanthid rock I got a while back. I placed the zoanthid rock so it would get the light & water flow they need & the mushroom detached probably cause of the light. I’ve tried to place the green stripe in several places that I thought it would like it better & it won’t attach? I have around 1200 GPH running through my 65 GAL tank! So if it don’t attach soon it will probably get flushed out through the overflow! Should I just let it blow around the tank hoping it will grab hold somewhere? Or should I try super-glue or something else to attach it?

BoomerD

There are several tricks you can use. Take a short glass, fill it halfway with small rock rubble, put the shroom in it, place it in an area with low flow, the shroom should attach itself in a few days. I generally take a piece of mesh, like wedding veil, put the shroom on a small rock, cover with the mesh, rubberband the mesh to the rock so the shroom can't float off, and in a few days, it will have attached and you can remove the mesh...

dwall174

Good Ideas Thanks

I just placed the mushroom on another rock with very low flow & not much light! If it moves again I will try one of your ideas.

dwall174

Aquaman

fshwelc.gif

To Reef Sanctuary
No they will detach if they don’t like the conditions! (Too much light or water flow) You can aim a powerhead towards them & cause them to release, then just place them where you want.

I’ve done this several times! This time though the green stripe mushroom would not attach?

I finally think I placed it in a spot that it likes it hasn’t moved in a couple days.

EdgeKrusher

All the shrooms in my tank seem to be creeping down toward the bottom of the tank, by themselves. Is this normal, does this mean there's too much light, or flow?

dwall174

Mine do that also!

I don’t believe they can move up (or crawl like a snail) so they are at the mercy of the water flow (or us ) to move them to a new location. When they release because they don’t like the conditions & there’s not much water flow the only way to go is down!

Brucey

Yep mushrooms do not move on their own, but they will move if conditions aren't right . . . . but only by water flow means. I have had several move and re-attach quite quickly. I've used a matchstick and some milliput before . . . done the trick for a while but then they moved again anyway. Just leave them to it
Brucey

mick77

I wouldn't freak out too much about it. I started with 3 individual shrooms (two green one purple) and the quickly floated around the tank for what seemed forever. In fact, I thought they had died when a month later I was moving rocks and found them attached to some of the lower base rock. I switched some of this rock to out front, now I have 30+ shrooms in about two years.

Curtswearing

Re: run awy??

Originally posted by Aquaman
i thought mushrooms attatched permanently???

As previously stated, they will unattach if needed. However, I wanted to welcome you to Reef Sanctuary!!!

ramoth41

mushroomss spread like wild fire in my tank!! If I had known how they would spread to almost every avalible space I would never have put the dumb things in there!! lol Don't get me wrong I like them but geezee enough is enough. Between the shrooms and the zoos I don't have too many good places to put stuff!. I wouldn't be so bad if they were red or blue ect but hese are the basic brown/green types. Every now and then you see one floating by!
Sarah