Rue's RSM journey...and other SW stuff

Rue

Well...since I'm cleaning up house, so to speak, thought maybe I should start my own thread about it...to avoid cluttering up everyone elses and hijacking them.

I've had my RSM 1.5 years. It was going great until this summer, when the lights were turned out. I was feeding the tank before the lights went on, so I never noticed. Because I was so busy, this went on for 6 weeks, before I paid attention - and by that time corals were dead or dying.

I reset the lights, but was depressed about the tank and stopped a lot of the maintenance I was doing before. I kept up with topping up the water level and cleaning the front glass. That's about it.

Then a month ago we had a 7 hour power failure that finished off the corals that were still hanging in there. Today the clam died completely.

A couple of weeks ago I decided to give it another go - my fish and the GBTA were doing just fine! A few mushrooms were doing well too!

So, I did a 10% WC. Cleaned out all the filter material. Scrubbed the glass really well. Blew all the dirt off the rock, scrubbed the hair algae off my snails (they hate that for some reason).

Today I purchased some sheet phosphate filters and sheet carbon filters. I hope they work, because they're easy to use. The carbon filter pad will hopefully reduce any toxins, and the phosphate filter pad will hopefully help get rid of my hair algae issue.

I also jumped the gun a bit, and bought a new clam. In my defense, they were on sale and I bought a small one.

I also have some zoas and montis (singles or 1" frags) coming by mail next week, part of group order.

Here's the tank from before 'light's out'.

SWTankSept.407002.jpg

SWBubblesClamAcro1007.jpg

Back last December (2007) I also ordered a custom frag tank to fit in a corner on a counter, under the cupboards, downstairs beside where I have the RSM. I didn't get it until April, and then got busy...and then got depressed about SW tanks.

FragTankinsitu.jpg

It's set up like an RSM, everything on one level, and has about a 27g capacity.

FragTankSumpBack.jpg

Today I decided to give it another go and started to put together the Sundial lighting fixture I purchases months ago...just to find it's too short for the tank...:dryer: It was all supposed to fit!

Now I have to figure out how to get the lights to fit. I'm thinking the simplest solution would be to have 2 glass strips cut and to park the light on those. But I'm open to suggestions!

AndtheBonus

Tank looks good! Hang in there and I am sure somebody will drop by soon and give you some advice on those lights!

Rue

Oh yes! I also bought a new book to get me going!

"Reef Invertebrates, An Essential Guide to Selection, Care and Compatibility" by Anthony Calfo & Robert Fenner

Looks good. A great section on refugiums (mainly why I bought it). So if I ever get one...I'll know what's up...:D

Rue

Thanks! I hope the skimmer and power head work. I don't want to fill it up with water and then have no lights for it...

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hey Rue - I'm glad you started your own thread! It makes it easier to keep track of your progress as the tank recovers.

The frag tank looks great too. I never had seen it yet. Your idea on the glass or even acrylic slats to support the light sound like a good idea. Acrylic might be best as it won't break like glass might, and you could just silicone it in a few spots so that the supports can't slide. Is it going to be possible to remove that 9002 skimmer in case the pump needs to be cleaned/serviced? it's hard to tell if the cabinets above will prevent that. Can you reach that air valve on the skimmer? If not, I remember one RSM owner that drilled a hole in the top of his 9002, and extended the airline and a plastic air valve up above the skimmer, to make it easier to reach to adjust the air flow. Something to think about before you fill it with water.

Looking forward to seeing the tank revived, and a frag farm started! :)

Rue

doubledeuce: I'm gonna give it the old college try...:dunce:

Reefmack: I'm not sure. I can empty the skimmer cup. I made sure of that. I have a funny feeling he made the tank an inch higher than it was supposed to be - which is a big difference in a tight space.

I was worried that the lights wouldn't fit underneath, but they just will...er, provided I have something to stand them on....

I can try acrylic straps...good idea. Maybe I can have them cut tomorrow?

CocoaChrome: :bump: The foxface was doing very very well. She was eating - even from my hands. Her colour was awesome.

And then one day I found her dead. This was before the lights-out. I'm wondering if she didn't blunder into the anemone (only the one at that point)?

That started my SW depression. Guess I didn't have to worry about rehoming her after all. :(

Rue

BTW...the SW tanks are in the basement, where it's cool in the summer. Our house doesn't have A/C so it gets too hot upstairs. I opted for a heater all year round vs. a heater in the winter and a chiller in the summer.

So please excuse the 30 year old cupboards - lol. I don't notice them in 'real life', but they bug me every time I see them in photos...

Rue

Thanks! They're such solid and well-made wood cupboards...I don't have the heart to replace them. And yes, the storage is great!

I will paint them one day though...maybe ....:D

steveh

Such dedication to the reef-keeping cause! Great post and best of luck in your new venture. I'll look forward to following your successes

Rue

Thanks!

Four of us made a group order for frags...I just picked mine up...I now have 5 healthy, teeny-tiny bits of various corals to get me going again!

I'm acclimating them at the moment...:D

Rue

Here's a couple of 'now' pics...none great, just taken with my little point and shoot.

Here's the state it's in at the moment. It actually looks way better than it did last week.

RSMTankoverview0109.jpg

The mess on the bottom - cyano and hair algae...and a couple of frags I hope will make it - cut from the skeletons of the originals...

RSMCyano0109.jpg

It's not all bad! The clowns are happy! They have 6 anemones to play in!

RSMClowns0109.jpg

And here are today's new frags...acclimating in the tank.

RSMFragsAcclim0109.jpg

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Lookin good - much much better than I expected based on what you said, and nice frags too! You're back in the game again!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
And I get depressed after losing some corals, and seeing a few still "iffy". It'll get better if you keep after it. If the only thing we have to get depressed & worried about is these crazy tanks, then we should feel blessed! :)

Rue

You make a good point! :D

I also got a reply from the frag vendor today regarding the names of the corals (I was bad - I shopped by image only - but in my defense I roughly know what's what at this point).

Royal Thunder Zoa
Purple Fusion Palythoa
Montipora undata - the turqoise one
Hydnopora -green
Montipora danae - the orange

Rue

...speaking of powerheads...

I just did manual battle with the cyano...and I'm winning...but it's slow going...(we're irritating each other - I'm just more highly evolved and a bit ahead of the game)...

Fiddle-phobe that I am, I was reluctant to put in my spare powerhead - however I told myself to get over it and stick the d*mn thing in the tank already...

This is mainly because one of the two RSM powerheads isn't working and I'm not up to fishing it out and seeing what's wrong with it any time soon...

So, I have a Tunze 6025 I bought second hand...but never used, never out of the box...from a fellow local reefer last year. I go to put it together. Can't figure out how it works...THEN read the directions and find I'm missing the bracket that holds the powerhead to the magnet...

I figured I was toast!

On a whim, I called our one and only reef store - and guess what! They actually sell the brackets separately! I am so impressed. Usually if a part is missing you're just out of luck. They're $15...so any $$$ I saved is gone...but at least I can use it!!!

Another small light at the end of the tunnel...