RSM250.need help with lid!!

brucewrs

I want to add a strip of LED lights onto the lid.Does it come apart?It looks like it has plugs but I cant seemto pop them out.I found a nice LED strip at Lowes.$59 a little high but I tried it and wow.What a shimmer effect...I want to mount it onto the lid section.Thanks

tnwillia

Misunderstood what lid your talking about. Now I see what your trying to get open. I see it's 2 pieces not 1 but short of those circles I don't see any way other than prying it on either side of the hinge. Mind has gaps there. I read a thread today about other putting LED strips on 130s. You might try them as I;m assuming they had to get theirs apart. That part on 130 looks just like 250. They may know what you need to do.

tutuan

Thanks but the lid part is different.The plugs in the main part have a notch to pop out the plug.The circles on the front lid area does not.Not sure if they even come out.

Yes it does come out. Try harder.
Do you have the link to the led strip? I'm interested too.

Thanks

brucewrs

Misunderstood what lid your talking about. Now I see what your trying to get open. I see it's 2 pieces not 1 but short of those circles I don't see any way other than prying it on either side of the hinge. Mind has gaps there. I read a thread today about other putting LED strips on 130s. You might try them as I;m assuming they had to get theirs apart. That part on 130 looks just like 250. They may know what you need to do.

It looks like there is a gap but I dont want to break it.I dont think the circles are caps.

I want to take off the under side and replace it with plexi glass.These led lights are not waterproof.
The led strip I got at lowes in the lighting dept.It was $59.00.It is super bright.It just plugs into the wall.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Are the "circles" small? On the 130 there were round caps that had to be pried off to get at the hood screws underneath them.

brucewrs

Are the "circles" small? On the 130 there were round caps that had to be pried off to get at the hood screws underneath them.

The caps in the middle of the hood you can clearly see that they come out.The ones on the lid don't.Any one from Red Sea max on here?I want to get these lights going...I also bought a set of 3 puck led lights from Lowes $42.00.Not sure which one I will use yet.The puck lights have 6 bulds.The strip has 5...each bulb uses just 1.1watts..They are super bright though.Holding it above the water you can see a really nice shimmer effect.

brucewrs

Anyone know Steve or anyone from Red Sea Max that they can contact for me?If possible just tell them about this thread.I want to install these lights this weekend.Thanks alot,Bruce

Whipitup

The caps in the middle of the hood you can clearly see that they come out.The ones on the lid don't.Any one from Red Sea max on here?I want to get these lights going...I also bought a set of 3 puck led lights from Lowes $42.00.Not sure which one I will use yet.The puck lights have 6 bulds.The strip has 5...each bulb uses just 1.1watts..They are super bright though.Holding it above the water you can see a really nice shimmer effect.

Photo's might help mate.

brucewrs

This is what the plugs look like in the main part of the hood.

hood.jpg

Now this is what the plugs look on the lid part that you open when feeding the fish.You can see where I used a knife to try and pop them off.

hood1.jpg

Whipitup

Bump!!! Anyone..Doing this tomorrow>I hope!!!

If the hood is similar to the 130 then the lid part comes away with the top of the main part of the hood.

If you are putting LED's in with the lights then all you need to do is remove the plugs in your first picture, if you are trying to mount LED's in the front part of the hood (the feeding section) then I cannot help as I have never tried to take it apart.

All you need to know about dismantling the hood is on RSM's website as a PDF download.

HTH's

Roger

brucewrs

If the hood is similar to the 130 then the lid part comes away with the top of the main part of the hood.

If you are putting LED's in with the lights then all you need to do is remove the plugs in your first picture, if you are trying to mount LED's in the front part of the hood (the feeding section) then I cannot help as I have never tried to take it apart.

All you need to know about dismantling the hood is on RSM's website as a PDF download.

HTH's

Roger

There is no room near the lights.Thats why I want to add them in the lid part.I just dont want to crack it.I wish someone from Red Sea Max would read this thread and let me know if the lid part has screws or does it just snap together....:(

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
brucewrs - have you asked in the "Ask Red Sea" thread? You might get a quicker answer from steveh in that thread. You could even give him a link to this thread, rather than retyping a lot of what's in here, and I'm sure the pictures would help him.

brucewrs

I would love to be able to remove the bottom part and mount the lights under and then drill holes on the bottom part so the light will go thru and place the bottom piece back on.

brucewrs

brucewrs - have you asked in the "Ask Red Sea" thread? You might get a quicker answer from steveh in that thread. You could even give him a link to this thread, rather than retyping a lot of what's in here, and I'm sure the pictures would help him.

Did that already..He must be busy..I want to get this done today or tomorrow.I just dont want to crack anything..Thanks

tutuan

Use a small flat screw driver and pry real hard ant it'll come out eventually. I did disassemble that lid once