RSM130D Sump tank

Just curious, who’s running a sump tank on their RSM130 or 130D, as I have a couple of questions on how it’s done and what’s required’ Photos would also be very helpful. I’m interested in a kit list of parts needed that can be purchased in the UK. If it’s not too expensive and reasonably straight forward this is the mod I would be most interested in.

1. Sump Tank; is this a custom build or an off the shelf purchase. Off the shelf purchase would be preferable unless someone wants to make me one :). Also I would want to be able to but it in the RSM130 cabinet.

2. Pump; How do you get the water from the tank to the sump and back again. What pumps are people using?

3. Skimmer; OK so I’ve seen these put in a sump tank but what are people using and what’s recommended.

4. Filtration; I assume you move your filtration (Purigen, CPE, Seachem SeaGel, etc) to your sump tank.

5. What else is required for a sump tank?

Hope you guys can help.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Steve - I'm running a simple 2 chamber sump in my 130 cabinet (no refugium section). It's not easy finding a sump that will fit in the cabinet without going custom ($$$). I found the Eshopps RS-75 sump fits nicely and was low cost. I'm not sure if it's available over there?

The sump comes with a filter sock to catch particulates. I'm currently using a SWC cone skimmer, but any sump skimmer would work as long as the base (footprint) will fit in the skimmer section of the sump, and the skimmer isn't too high to fit in the cabinet and allow the cup to be removed (and the skimmer pulled out for cleaning). If you already have a Tunze 9002 skimmer you you could even use that - I did that for a while.

For media I have a hang on Phosban reactor with a mix of Phoslock GFO, Carbon, and Purigen in it.

Sump7_17_10.jpg

The ATO reservoir on the left is a recycled kitty litter container. My Tunze ATO in inside it and my ATO sensors are the the return chamber on the right.

Disregard the big cylinger on the right - it's a CO2 scrubber hooked up to the skimmer air line to combat high CO2/low pH.

My return pump (not visible in the right chamber) is a Maxi-Jet 1100 - similar to the NewJet pumps over there:

Aquarium Circulation and Water Pumps: Marineland Maxi-Jet Utility Pumps

that pumps up to the tank through a fitting similar to this (I pulled the end fittings off):

Aquarium Plumbing: Directional U-Tube

Water is gravity fed to the sump by a hang on the back LifeReef nano siphon made for the 130 tanks:

prefilter box, siphon box, overflow box, siphon overflow, Eurobrace, Euro-brace, Euro-tank

The siphon drains into the filter sock via flexible vinyl tuning, and flexible vinyl tubing is also used from the return pump back up to the back of the tank. All fitting have plastic ratchet type tubing clamps.

If you go this route I highly recommend getting the LifeReef nano prefilter (siphon) as it's known for never failing to restart after a power failure.

How a sump with a siphon works (see animation):

Melevsreef.com | Acrylic Sumps & Refugiums

I hope that helps and wasn't too confusing LOL!

Hi Terry

Thanks for the info. I’ve been searching and also found your post on ultimate Reef.
It would appear my first problem is going to be finding a suitable sump tank in the UK which will fit into my RSM cabinet. I’ve searched for the Eshopps RS-75 sump and it doesn’t appear to be available in the UK as you say. Hopefully someone from the UK will see this tread and be able to offer some sump recommendations. I know some reefers have built there own but I wouldn’t know where to start and I just know it would leak.

Thanks for the links, detailed reply and photo, really helps visualise what’s required.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
You're welcome Steve! Hopefully you'll get some information from your fellow UK owners as to what's available over there. My first sump was a 3 chamber DIY job using an old 10 gallon (38 liter) tank I had, with baffles added, with a small refugium in the middle, but the fuge ran very dirty so I went with a simple 2 chamber sump just to get my equipment out of the back of my 130.

Hi Paul,

Just shy of £50 sounds pretty good to me for a custom sump tank, I’m defiantly interested. You’ll have to take the lead when it comes to Sump design because I haven’t got a clue. I’ve had a look at your thread and you appear to know what your up to, very nice lid light MOD.

There are a couple of things I am pretty keen on.

1. Needs to fit in RSM cabinet, preferably with a raised upper shelf. I’d like to be able to still keep my tank products and stuff above the sump even if the shelf is about 5” tall.

2. I really want to move my filtration media (Purigen, CPE, Seachem SeaGel, etc) into my sump so as to get better water flow across the products.

3. New skimmer

I’m more than happy to follow your lead if you don’t mind sorting everything out. I assume you have a good idea of what you’re after.

What’s next let me know, :) and Cheers for responding to my thread.