RSM130D and Ecotech Radion

ReefPaddy

Anyone thought about putting an EcoTech Radion into their RSM130 Hood?

I've got an MP10 and backup battery pack to get first but am seriously considering it.

reefer gladness

It should fit easy enough. There's enough room for the depth of 1.5 inches and it's wide enough to rest on the hood without being supported. It needs to be secured from moving around but it helps to have the weight supported by resting on the hood. I'd continue to use the existing hood fans and not cut the top of the hood for venting.

StevieT

RS Sponsor
I'd wonder about the height and ventilation. I personally would cut a hole in the top for the fan to work properly on the Radion. I will be ceiling mine tomorrow (if time permits) but have had the hood off for years. It seems to work better a little higher up than the hood can present.

tnwillia

+1^ Ecotech spicificly says don't mount them in an enclosed area and so far 12" off the water is as low as I've been able to go without everything closing up even at reduced intensity. As I said before someone is going to try it and it will work or not.

ReefPaddy

+1^ Ecotech spicificly says don't mount them in an enclosed area and so far 12" off the water is as low as I've been able to go without everything closing up even at reduced intensity. As I said before someone is going to try it and it will work or not.

Tom, Do you have a link for this info? I've tried to find this on their website but all it gives is dimensions of the unit itself.

Thanks,
Jason

jim891217

IMO, it's not a great idea because ecotech radion has lens on the leds and if you put them in the lid, the light spread is not enough and might create spot light effect.

tnwillia

Here you go... There is also a support forum in the support section that will show a lot of questions/problems/ help & fixes buyers have had with it as well as the other Ecotech products. Good luck!

Radion ™ | EcoTech Marine

ReefPaddy

Thanks for that Tom. I think with the vents at the sides of the RSM hood and 2 fans either side moving air from one side and out the other it shouldn't be a problem. I'l still about 3 or 4 months off from this yet as I have DIY LED's at present and have lots of other upgrades to do before hand so will wait and see if someone else take the plunge first.

tnwillia

Mine are not running hot. But, if I kick them up above 65 or 70% I do feel the heat off them. Nothing like a T5/HQI but the heat is there. As best I can tell you can take them apart, maybe pulling them out of the case will help with the air flow mounting them in the hood. Have fun when the time comes!!!

Millstone

I've got a RSM130 with a Maxspect G2 160W built into the hood. I've seriuosly concidered swapping my Maxpect for the new EcoTech Radion.
But, I don't think it'll work.. I don't think the heat will be a problem since I've already cut the top open. But, if mounting the Radion in the hood, lenses will cause problems with the light spread so I'll stick with my Maxspect for a while more.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm liking the idea here. Would love to see this one in action. Reef Paddy we're waiting on you :)

PIMPALA

Are you sure? PacificSun are marketing their new Hyperion R2 LED unit, and it states that its only 2" above the water column. article and video here: Nice video demo of the PacificSun Hyperion R2 LED colors over a reef tank

Radions wont work that close to the water.

edit... it will "work" but you wont be lighting the whole tank. Every light unit out there has different optics, or lack there of. units with no optics, you are abole to mount as close to the water as you want. the ecotech is not one of them.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Nice find - thanks for sharing !

Hope his Velcro holds up well...
1043.gif