RSM (Red Sea Max) Owners Club

tyleratl

Well. It is all done. I removed all pumps and cleaned them. The pumps were filthy! No wonder the skimmer was creating more heat than it should. The skimmer housing was an absolute outrage of filth. I put it in the dishwasher and washed it without detergent. Then, I rinsed it with DI makeup water. I removed all the remaining cyano by hand and with a siphon while doing the water change. I ended up changing about 10 gallons. Finally, I restarted the Fluval 205 and the protein skimmer. All critters seem fine. I just hope that I didn't screw up the natural bacterial filter too much with all my cleaning.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
tyleratl - did you look closely in the skimmer body? I used to have tiny tube worms and tiny limpets attached to the sides of mine. Hopefully you'll see positive results from the cleanup.

Mister Chips

Mister Chips - I got the 24" Current Outer Orbit Pro (model 1070 I think?) - 150W HQI with 4 x 24W T5 (2x 24W at 420nm, and 2 x 24W at 460nm. The one you mentioned is also a nice one & maybe a bit lower priced than the T5 version. The ballast on the 150W versions is internal in the hood, but I can rest my hand on the hood and it's only just warm - a great cooling fan in the hood. It comes with 2 timers - I ended up getting a 3 way timer and have the HQI on one timer & the T5s on another, and the blue LEDs on all night, with the white LEDs on another timer, and only on an hour before and an hour after the T5s are on/off. I also have the T5s on about 2 hours before & after the HQI comes on. I try to simulate a moonlit night with the blue LEDs on all night, then dawn with the white LEDs coning on, followed by the T5s, and later the HQI, and then the reverse after the HQI shuts off. Confusing? It is to me too when something gets messed up and I have to reset all my timers! :cursin:

Hey Reefmack,
Got my new light. Looks great!! How long do you keep your MH on for? I am afraid to shock my reef by jumping into some intense lighting. Am I correct in worrying about sunburning anything?

GDESQUIRE

I would slowly acclimate your tank to the new light. Perhaps 2-3 hrs. to start with increasing the time daily by 20 min until you get to 6-8 hours a day. The T5 lights can stay on for 8-10 hours.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Mister Chips - I'll agree with GDESQUIRE - start out low on the MH exposure and gradually increase it. I think I started our at 2-3 hours per day, and increased it about an hour every few days. I think I have the MH on for about 7 hours now, and the T5s for about 11 hours.

SpiderWoman

Hi everybody,
I'd like to join the club :) I have a RSM setup and currently it's to showcase my zoa and paly collection.

SpiderWoman

Hi everybody,
I'd like to join the club. I have a RSM setup and currently it's to showcase my zoa and paly collection.

RSMlover

:thumber: Hey Everyone.
I have been a lurker on the board for quite sometime but finally decided to join in. I am a RSM owner for well over a year now. I love the tank despite all of its lil problems. I finally got brave enough this weekend to try and mod my hood a bit to resolve something that bothered me more than anything... My lack of nightlights! Before you could barely see any light at night. After .. I actually have light!!! and a nice lil shimmer to my water at night. Was so excited I had to share!! And I did it myself!....its the little things in life I tell ya.

Thanks for Listening!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
SpiderWoman and RSMlover......

:welcomera to both Reef Sanctuary and the RSM Club! Great to have 2 new members! There's an RSM Full Tank Shot thread in the RSM Owners Club section of RS, and I know we'd all love to see a picture of your tanks when you get time.

Lots of good tank information starting to build up within our RSM forum section, but be sure to check out the rest of Reef Sanctuary also. If you have any RSM mods that you've done, or tank specific issues, it would be great if you started a new thread in this section. We're all doing our best to make finding important things easier in the future, than trying to relocate them in a huge thread. :) We've only had this great RSM forum setup, provided by the staff at Reef Sanctuary, for a few weeks now and it's really growing fast! Welcome aboard!

steveh

42 pages already? On behalf of Red Sea, thanks for all your continued enthusiasm, mods, strange ideas and general input. I'll check in again tomorrow (7th), so if there's any particular questions, send 'em over and I'll see what we can do. Happy reefkeeping to you all.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
:bday1: SpiderWoman! By chance, I caught a birthday notice at the bottom of the forum listings.

steveh - yep - some of us do have "strange ideas" LOL! :)

Mister Chips

Mister Chips - I'll agree with GDESQUIRE - start out low on the MH exposure and gradually increase it. I think I started our at 2-3 hours per day, and increased it about an hour every few days. I think I have the MH on for about 7 hours now, and the T5s for about 11 hours.

Thanks to you both!

tyleratl

Welcome to Spiderwoman and RSMlover!

RSMlover.. tell us some more about your night light mod. Did you replace the two LED's with brighter ones?

Arreola

At last, the Flame Angelfish is in the tank.
Here is a pic.
IMG_0027a.jpg

RSMlover

Welcome to Spiderwoman and RSMlover!

RSMlover.. tell us some more about your night light mod. Did you replace the two LED's with brighter ones?

Thanks Tyleratl!

Well since it wasn't really planned this time around I removed the led's from the side of the reflector and drilled two holes on the top. (I'm not sure the reasoning behind putting them on the side like they were.) Anyways a little bit of careful measuring and the led's end up sitting nicely between the two compact light bulbs. Because they are now shining downward the light increase is pretty significant. It does cause the light to spotlight a bit(for lack of proper term). Ideally two more led's would be perfect, but for now I'm really happy with it and it didn't cost a thing.
And I love the shimmer I get now!

tyleratl

RSMLover:

Great! I think you've done a mod that nobody else has thought of yet ;). And, they have thought of just about every mod. Reefmack's RSM brews coffee and takes out the trash! :laughroll

Witfull

RSMers,,,,,,as much as i love this thread,,,,plz use the entire subforum to post Mods and such,,,,,enen venture outside the subforum and enjoy the wealth of knowedge RS has to offer.

Arreola

Is it possible to add 2 more LED with the same installation?
I was thinking just to make the conection to the wire and drill the holes.

Possible?
Thank you
Arreola