RSM Club - off topic photos and discussions

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I got to know Scott Fellman a little bit :dance: from coming here ... a very nice guy...

MACNA has always been an event to get an education, and this year is no different. Come listen to your favorite speakers and learn from the experts. They will be there all weekend, so you will have plenty of opportunities for one on one conversations as well.

Sept 9th-11th, Des Moines Iowa

MACNA 2011 > Home

Friday

10:00 Jim Stime LA FIshguy, Best of the First 35 episodes.

12:00 Scott Michael MARINE FISH FANTASIA!

1:05 Scott Fellman Demonstration, Aquascaping, More Ideas for the Atheistically Challenged

1:05 NPS Group Welcome to the Dark Side, Azoox/NPS corals

1:30 Sanjay Joshi LED Lighting for Reefs

2:35 Jake Adams Getting More Flow From Your Existing Pumps

3:00 Richard Ross Is That Reef Thing You Say True, or Did Someone Just Tell It to You? Making Decisions
About Your Reef in the Face of Millions of Contradictory Facts
4:05 Gary Parr Tips for Better Reef Photos

4:30 Matt Pedersen Passion Incarnate and the Ultimate DIY Project: Marine Fish Rooms

Saturday

All day Saturday there will be shuttles to tour Central Campus, a high school with a Marine Biology & Aquarium Sciences program with over 14,000 gallons of saltwater tanks.

9:00 Anthony Calfo Oh, the Stuff You Will Learn! Perception and Reality in a Seussian Reef Hobby"
(AKA "Taking an Opportunity-Cost Perspective in a Lawless Industry That's Out to Get You.")

10:05 Kevin Kohen Expert Only Aquarium Animals Demystified

10:30 Murray Camp You Want Me to Put What in My Tank? - An Overview of Probiotic and Labile Carbon Dosing Methodologies

11:35 Chris Moser DIY Coral, Sea Fans, and Anemones

12:00 Charels Veron Corals: What's in a Name?

1:05 Terrance Fugazzi What REALLY Matters When Deciding On An Aquarium Controller

1:30 Tony Vargas The worlds most successful reef aquariums

2:35 Mark Levenson Demonstration, How to Create a Solid Aquascape

3:00 Matt Wittenrich Trends in Breeding Marine Aquarium Fishes: Where We Are Today and Where We Need to Be Tomorrow

4:05 David Vosseler Seasmart update

4:30 Gary Parr Azooxanthellate Corals Through a Rookies Eyes

Sunday

9:00 Scott Fellman Nutrient Control and Export - Ways to Increase Water Quality and Eliminate Nuisance Algae

10:05 Jean Jaubert Acute stress induces the formation of propagule-like regenerative offspring in Xenia

10:30 Mark Levenson Why Every Reefkeeper Should Own a Par Meter

11:35 Jeremy Rykiel Skimmer Tips & Tricks

12:00 Julian Sprung What's Next? New Frontiers in Ornamental Marine Aquaculture

1:05 Rogger Castells Food Safety Techniques

Mischko

If YOU think you had a bad day:

Rob is a commercial saturation diver for Global Divers in Louisiana. He performs underwater repairs on offshore drilling rigs.
Below is an E-mail he sent to his sister in Ft. Wayne , Indiana, who was sponsoring a worst job experience contest. Needless to say, she won.

Hi Sue,

Just another note from your bottom-dwelling brother.

Last week I had a bad day at the office. I know you've been feeling down lately at work, so I thought I would share my dilemma with you to make you realize it's not so bad after all.

Before I can tell you what happened to me, I first must bore you with a few technicalities of my job. As you know, my office lies at the bottom of the sea. I wear a suit to the office. It's a wet

suit. This time of year the water is quite cool. So what we do to keep warm is this: We have a diesel-powered industrial water heater. This $20,000 piece of equipment sucks the water out of the sea. It heats it to a delightful temperature. It then pumps it down to the diver through a garden hose, which
is taped to the air hose.

Now this sounds like a darn good plan, and ... I've used it several times with no complaints.

What I do, when I get to the bottom and start working, is take the hose

It's like working in a Jacuzzi.
and stuff it down the back of my wet suit. This floods my whole suit with warm water.

Everything was going well until all of a sudden, my butt started to itch. So, of course, I scratched it. This

only made things worse. With in a few seconds my butt started to burn. I pulled the hose out from my back, but the damage was done. In agony, I realized what had happened.

The hot water machine had sucked up a jellyfish and pumped it into my suit. Now, since I don't have any hair on my back, the jellyfish couldn't stick to it. However, the crack of my butt was not as fortunate.

When I scratched what I thought was an itch, I was actually grinding the jellyfish into the crack of my butt.

I informed the dive supervisor of my dilemma over the communicator. His instructions were unclear

due to the fact that he, along with five other divers, were all laughing hysterically.

Needless to say I aborted the dive. I was instructed to make three agonizing in-water decompression stops totaling thirty-five minutes before I could reach the surface to begin my chamber dry
decompression.

When I arrived at the surface, I was wearing nothing but my brass helmet. As I climbed out of the water, the medic, with tears of laughter running down his face, handed me a tube of cream and told me to rub it on my butt as soon as I got in the chamber.

The cream put the fire out, but I couldn't poop for two days because my butt was swollen
shut.

So, next time you're having a bad day at work, think about how much worse it would be if you had a jellyfish shoved up your butt.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Ouch
028.gif

Dweezil

Here are some pictures from my recent vacation to Ocean City Maryland. My favorite was the wild horses of Assateague island. I would highly suggest you go if you get a chance. This Island belongs to the horses not the people. They walk right down on the beach where you are and if you're in their way....Oh well.
We got there just a day and a half after Hurricane Irene hit. Almost thought we would not be able to go.

DSC_1552.jpg

DSC_1538.jpg

DSC_1548.jpg

Dolphin!

DSC_1469.jpg

Sunrise

DSC_1472.jpg

Pier

DSC_1494.jpg

Horseshoe Crab

DSC_1568.jpg

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
I saw these on Facebook a while ago but have to comment again - beautiful pics especially the sunset. Which reminds me, i'm off for a well earned break next week to the beach and these pictures are getting me excited :).

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Thanks Iain :dance: they are HP's version of the ipad & the ipad I am sure is better (love my iphone), but this was a deal

going to get a new iphone 4s Oct 14 was hoping for iphone 5, but oh well...

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I have always (primarily) used Microsoft's Internet Explorer for browser - I have recently started using Google Chrome 14 and FireFox 7.0 for browsing RS and got to say I am really Loving both sooooo much more than I.E. and both are sooooooo verrrrrrry much faster.

If you have not tried either & are using I.E. for your browser, give one of them a try, I think you will be very pleasantly surprised. Still trying to decide which I like best of the two... but both are flaming fast compared to I.E.

You can import your favorites & once you setup a few special bookmarks on the toolbar and tweak a few options you are good to go & will Love it - and it will make browsing RS much more enjoyable - Cheers !
1218.gif

jpsika08

Agree Glenn, I have been using Firefox since it was released and don't even consider IE anymore, even when setting Win7 in my machines, I remove the IE browser lol, (Take that Bill Gates :D)