RSM 250 too noisy to keep, how do I reduce noise?

Mitche11

:surrender: I have to be honest and say I’m completely fed up.

I’ve been bitten by the bug and purchased what I had considered to be good quality equipment from quality manufactures, after running my RSM 250 for several weeks now I’m completely fed up with the ongoing noise from the system.

I’ve purchased a beautiful Red Sea Max250, a Tunze Osmolator, D & D Chiller and today a Vortech MP40W.
The problem is as I’ve read in many of the posts here, excessive noise from the max pumps/skimmer.

The max is located in our lounge and is simply just too loud. I’m now turning off the pumps when we using the lounge so we can hear the tv or read/talk in peace.

I’ve emailed Steve at Red Sea on the 18/10 and again yesterday but disappointedly I’ve not received any response.

Do all 250 owners have this noise problem?

I need to reduce the noise output from the max or it will be heading for an auction site as neither I nor my wife can stand it any longer.

Are there any alternatives available in the UK to the stock pumps/skimmer that will operate near silently and fit inside the existing cabinet?

FYI, I’ve stripped and cleaned the pumps and made sure they are correctly assembled. The pumps when turned on just make a loud noise.

Thanks for any help and advice you can offer

tnwillia

Someone here a day or so ago said the really reduced the skimmer noise by putting a silencer on the air line. He took it off another skimmer, not sure where you can get one. I guess you could make one. Others will jump in here to help.

If you want a silent skimmer and don't care if the top flap closes look at the ER Nano 250 on this link. Good luck!

Global Aquarium Supply Homepage for your Salt Water Aquarium needs including AquaC - Reef Complete - Acrylics - Hamilton Lighting - Spectra Pure

Mitche11

Thanks Tom,

I like the idea of it being silent but to be honest it dosent look that great. The RSM 250 looks fantastic and is one of the reasons we chose it for our home. I'm not sure I really want something poking out the top of the cabinet.

Any suggestions for replacing the stock pumps for some silent ones?
Cheers

Andrew

tnwillia

No problem... Robbert (nanoskim) the ER Nano designer is starting to work on posibilities for a skimmer to fit under the 250 hood to keep it looking stock. If the air line silencer can help you for now there may be a better mouse trap coming down the road.

My pumps were not that noisy. All my noise revolved aound the skimmer air line and it's pump. I do not know of anyone finding a replacement for it.

As for SteveH I think he posted he's going to something else and Red Sea is getting another person to work full time with the fourm questions/problems. I can't tell you more than that. There are several members here in the UK and Scotland that may be able to help you. Are your pumps 50 hertz for the euro voltages. Maybe you have US 60hz pumps by mistake. I'm guessing as I never had high noise on my left & right pumps.

If you can get ahold of Red Sea I hope they can help you. As you tank is new I'm assuming it's bad parts will be replaced for free. Good luck!

Oh, Welcome to RS!

nanoskim

Thanks Tom,

I like the idea of it being silent but to be honest it dosent look that great. The RSM 250 looks fantastic and is one of the reasons we chose it for our home. I'm not sure I really want something poking out the top of the cabinet.

Any suggestions for replacing the stock pumps for some silent ones?
Cheers

Andrew

Hi Mitchell,

As Tom mentioned we are working on a nano skimmer for the RSM 130 and RSM 250 which will fit under the hood. Can you tell me how much room there is between the water level and the bottom of the hood...also what is your water level typically?

The RSM 130 skimmer looks real good and all we need to do is modify the bracket design so that the skimmer can sit lower in the chamber. I can email you some test pics if you email me at nano@euro-reef.com.

I am sure we can do the same for the RSM 250...it is just a matter of testing to make sure everything important has been considered in the design.

There appears to be enough of a market in Europe for us to get the 220V ,50Hz pumps so that no conversion is necessary.

Regards,
Robbert

Mitche11

Thanks Tom for the skimmer silencer tip but although the skimmer does make an air/bubble noise that not really my problem.

If I strip down the pump(s) and turn them on without the impellor they are silent (as you would perhaps expect), as soon as I put the pump back together and turn it on (submerged) it makes a horrible mechanical noise (perhaps a vibration). Once the pumps are back in their respective chambers they continue to make this constant noise. I’ve tried moving the pumps in the chambers to make sure they are free of air and not touching the glass walls but to no effect.

I have a 130 that I bought second hand that lives six feet away from my desk. The noise from the 130 is what I would consider normal and acceptable. I can sit at my desk and work, talk on the phone listen to the radio etc without the 130 causing an intrusion. My office is only about 4 x 5 meters in size, my living room is approximately 10 x 6 meters and if I take a call whilst the 250 pumps are on people will comment about the background noise!

I’m going to call Interpet / Red Sea today now that Steve H may have jumped ships and see what they can do.

I’ll post an update when I’ve spoken with someone.

Mitche11

Morning Robert,

I’ll take some measurements when I finish work later today and post them here.

Cheers

Andrew

Mitche11

I’ve spoken with Interpet this morning who will no longer be dealing with Red Sea as of tomorrow.

Red Sea has entered into a joint venture with Arcadia Arcadia the leaders in pet-care lighting technology - News .

Interpet say Steve Halls is still very much part of Red Sea and have given me his mobile. Interpet are sending me out some new hood fans and pump number two (that the only stock they had available) in an effort to resolve the loud noise.

I’ve left a message for Steve on his mobile but I guess he will be busy with the new venture and this perhaps goes some way to explaining the lack of response from my email(s).

I’ll post an update once I’ve received and tried out the new pump but I’ll feel a shimmer of hope in finding a solution to my problem.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Based on steveh's recent post in the Ask Red Sea thread, Kevin Davies will be taking steveh's place in the forums. Haven't seen him show up yet though.

Mitch11 - "If I strip down the pump(s) and turn them on without the impellor they are silent (as you would perhaps expect), as soon as I put the pump back together and turn it on (submerged) it makes a horrible mechanical noise (perhaps a vibration). Once the pumps are back in their respective chambers they continue to make this constant noise. I’ve tried moving the pumps in the chambers to make sure they are free of air and not touching the glass walls but to no effect." Correct - This lack of noise with no impeller is indeed expected - with no impeller there's nothing to create the suction of air (and none of that related air sucking noise), and really nothing to vibrate and cause those types of noises. Once the impeller goes back in that's the source of all of the noises. Several have had to get new impellers from Red Sea to try to eliminate noise, heat, and pumps that don't restart.

nanoskim

Based on steveh's recent post in the Ask Red Sea thread, Kevin Davies will be taking steveh's place in the forums. Haven't seen him show up yet though.

Mitch11 - "If I strip down the pump(s) and turn them on without the impellor they are silent (as you would perhaps expect), as soon as I put the pump back together and turn it on (submerged) it makes a horrible mechanical noise (perhaps a vibration). Once the pumps are back in their respective chambers they continue to make this constant noise. I’ve tried moving the pumps in the chambers to make sure they are free of air and not touching the glass walls but to no effect." Correct - This lack of noise with no impeller is indeed expected - with no impeller there's nothing to create the suction of air (and none of that related air sucking noise), and really nothing to vibrate and cause those types of noises. Once the impeller goes back in that's the source of all of the noises. Several have had to get new impellers from Red Sea to try to eliminate noise, heat, and pumps that don't restart.

Here are two pump problems:

1- Too much play between magnet bearing and pump shaft = noisey pump
2- Magnets too weak to turn the impeller because of drag = does not restart

We identified these problems long time ago and fixed the problems for the pumps we use for our large skimmers and nano skimmers. It is very difficult to find a proper skimmer pump because most pump manufacturers are not interested in modifying their existing designs even when you tell them how to make them better! Only one chinese company took our suggested design changes to heart and their pumps are now more silent then the expensive Eheim pumps!

Regards,
Robbert
ER Nano Systems

How oftern do you clean your pumps? Some stuff may get into the impeller area which would cause noise! I've never had any noise issue with my 250 so sorry I couldn't be more help.

hallie

Might be worth asking Redsea if they have changed the pumps/impellors they use. I set my 250 up a week ago and both circulation pumps and skimmer pump are dead silent.

If it helps I will pull them out and post the model numbers etc on here.

Oh, I recall some of the info on the pumps themselves had been crossed out with texta.....

Cheers

Tim

Mitche11

Thanks Tom any help would be appreciated. I’ve purchased another pump and swapped out the original which runs a lot quieter although I don’t think I’m getting the same flow rate which is a problem.

I’m now looking at buying a Deltec MC500 skimmer to replace the red sea jet at a cost of £235!

I’m pretty fed up with the noise generated from pump no1, the fans in the light canopy and the jet engine skimmer. (I have received some new hood fans but not had chance to install them yet)

Would I chose a Red Sea Max 250 again given the current problems, I got to be honest and say no.

Tonight (Saturday night), we have family over and I’ve turned off the lights skimmer so we can talk normally, I’ve got to ask myself if the tank is starting to detract from our living space.

If I’m unable to run the tank normally without needing earplugs I will be writing it off and starting again with another manufacture.

Any one considering a RSM 250 should budget for the additional cost of another skimmer £235, cooler/pump £250, additional circulation pump £50-270 before they start to get excited about fish and coral.

I'll be contacting Red Sea / Arcadia again this week to see if they have any new stock available.

pocketreef

Mitche11,

We will help more if you post a video and move around the tank in different distances. Open the hood, get closer to the fans, skimmer, etc. It's important to have the rest of the room in silence. Other 250 owners will recognize if there are problems (or differences from their set-ups).

Maybe there is a miracle quick-win :jumprope:

tnwillia

Mitche11... Sorry your having these problems. While many of us have been unhappy with the skimmer noise, the noise level your describing is beyond anything I've seen on described here on RS. When you talk to Red Sea be real specific about the noise level and all the equipment involved. Hallie (I think) in another thread was talking about getting new pumps that were dead quiet so maybe Red Sea has solved their problem. I hope they will send replacements of everything.