RSM 250 ATO suggestions

Deniseheath5

Looking at getting a ATO - recommendations for the 250? Brand? Placement?

Also might be a stupid question but what are you all using to hold the top off water? Does it fit in stand? Would like to keep everything hidden in stand.

Thanks

Hooligan

I have the ELOS ATO which has been running about 2 weeks and it has been working well. I run both the sensor and filler hose in the right side chamber. I use a 5 gallon bucket which fits in the cabinet nicely. A full bucket will last about 5-6 days.

Jason

slakker

I use a tunze osmolator in my 130... Works the same in 250 I suspect. I put a rectagular water tub in the stand... It's just a storage box from Ikea

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
I use a JBJ ATO and an Eheim 1048 pump. I do not run the fine filter floss so I put the sensor in the compartment to the left of the skimmer. I am using a clear rectangular plastic tub from Lowes. It holds between 8 to 10 gallons of water. I cut the back edge off the top so the tubing is not obstructed coming out the back. Having the top helps keep dust out of the top off container. With three dogs and tile floors, dust still finds its way inside the cabinet.

Deniseheath5

Great ideas for how to store the water. Each of you are running a different ATO. Wonder if any of them is suppose to be better then other. Thanks for the ideas.

TravisVT

I also have the tunze - I think it is the most expensive of the bunch but it comes with everything in the box except the water storage/container - I use a 5 gallon bucket, with the lid on (to keep stuff from falling into the clean water) cut a small hole in the lid and fed the wires thru. I also found it best to place the sensors in the right chamber, a little tight in there but I felt it was the area that had the most constant water level. I tried the left side chamber, but when I used the fine filter during water changes it screwed up the water level on the left side causing the ATO to freak out.

slakker

The downside of Tunze is the price, but the up side is that it's pretty much turn-key out of the box... And it's pretty geeky tech

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
The water level is not a problem for me on the left side as I never use the fine filter and I turn my ATO off during water changes.

I also have the tunze - I think it is the most expensive of the bunch but it comes with everything in the box except the water storage/container - I use a 5 gallon bucket, with the lid on (to keep stuff from falling into the clean water) cut a small hole in the lid and fed the wires thru. I also found it best to place the sensors in the right chamber, a little tight in there but I felt it was the area that had the most constant water level. I tried the left side chamber, but when I used the fine filter during water changes it screwed up the water level on the left side causing the ATO to freak out.

I am definitely following this thread. I am looking at the same thing for my 250, and was going to ask the question. Thanks Denise for asking!!! I really am glad you did. I was looking at a few different models, and am not really sure what is the best or most reliable.

Will be lurking in the shadows to see where this goes. :lurk:

me too....I'm lurking in this thread.

But, I have a question: which water level sensor is the most accurate/sensitive and does not foul (salt creep, etc.) in the different models of ATO?

Deniseheath5

Do you mount the ATO monitor inside the stand? Hoping for nothing to be exposed (visible) in the end. I think I will use the 5 gallon bucket inside stand idea.

Thanks

slakker

The float style monitor is a float... Easy to clean and rinse or salt, but salt can clog its motion... Not high likely hood.

The tunze uses an optical sensor, much like the ones on cars that turn on the wipers when it rains. It's based on refractive index changes when water is on it or not. And a high water sensor that shuts it off if the sensor malfunctions...

That's why I think it's pretty cool geeky tech...