RSM 130D skimmer. Am I the only one....

nexodos

...who is happy with this skimmer???...

Two days work...

It is noisy, but makes an excelent job in my RSM. I tried the 9002 and after 3 months, I went back with the stock one...

Am I the only one ???

David Shaw

Probably LOL

Mine skimmed fine, it was just the noise, i felt i was living on an airport runway (in peak travel times).

artpics

Same results here. but noisy i turn it off at night. Please remove the Skimmate from the glass i feel sick.

Mischko

Aqua Medic Turboflotor 500 here, super silent, skimms better than Tunze 9002 and the stock skimmer.

qwaz01

Mine works great also.

I reduced the noise of mine my by drilling a hole in the skimmer cup lid and feeding the air pipe back into the skimmer cup. Trust me this very simple mod makes a massive difference.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
nexodos - nice skimmate - I also ran my 130D stock, with the stock skimmer & having learned all the little tricks (water lever, flow, cleaning neck, body and orifices regularly - might add I do this with my RSM 250 skimmer too) I was always satisfied with my stock skimmer, but with out any mods, it was loud (relatively / subjectively) and for mine to preform well, I have to clean neck, weekly, body monthly & orifices in the pump every few months - I have posted lots of tips on making the stock 130D skimmer preform - Cheers - thanks for sharing !

Andy - nice mod - I have read several have done this... all most all the noise with the stock skimmer comes from it sucking air (if you turn air off, it's very quite), in the RSM 250 Red Sea built a little box inside the skimmer cup to solve this & work as a silencer, the airline goes into this small box ... another nice mod is the pill bottle silencer, I know Terry has posted several links to it before... I can see where it would work well too, to silence the air intake.

humbertomm

+1 using stock skimmer and very happy with that... inclusive i got a new intank rack and cup that i did not use so far

I am using almost all Glenn's tips here =P

@Andy - for sure i will try that

Mischko

Flap closes properly! Enought space on top of the skimmer cup and my water level in the rear is at the second marker of the little control window of the 130D.

David Shaw

I bought one ! Thanks for your advice on the matter. Great to know it fits in the 130D and the flap closes down. From your reviews it looks like it out performs the Tunze 9002.

Thanks again.

nexodos

Thanks for the feebacks!!!...

Mischko, I didn't know the Aquamedic skimmer option!!!....thanks!!.. seems to work pretty well

Glenn, Also I had to put this in the inlet of the skimmer pump to avoid snails and other animals get into.

Any photos of your stock skimmate will be welcome...:rolleyes:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Interesting... would you believe the RSM 250 comes with one looks almost like that & used on the intake of the skimmer pump ! Congrats - nice addition

This was my 130D skimmer in action ... after weekly maintenance

rs041509011.jpg