Rsm 130 algea issues.

carlfike

Hey folks. I have a rsm 130 that's been running for about a year. I've started to have algae issues the last couple weeks and I'm stumped. Any input would be great.
Parameters
Amon 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Phos 0
Calcium 420
Kh 8
Ph 7.9-8.0
Temp 80

I run chemipure in my media tower, and I alternate phosguard for 3 days, then carbon for 14 days in my media reactor. I also have the tunze 9002 skimmer working. The sump has cheato in it which see pretty good growth. My lighting is a DIY led fixture. 30 3 watt Cree LEDs running at about 70% for 10 hours daily. I feed ( clown, blenny, 6-line) 1/2 cube of mysis/shrimp every other day or so. I've got a few hermits and snails, a brittle star, and a cleaner shrimp.
I also just replaced my filters in my Rodi unit. Meter showing 000 on the output. Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks!

vubben

What kind of algae issues are you seeing? I noticed I was getting a lot more algae growing on my glass after about a year. Changing out the fluorescents seemed to help knock that back.

carlfike

Looks like a mix of cotton candy like algea and hair algea. Using led lights so I'm guessing lighting isn't an issue.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
How many snails in your cuc?

Mexican Turbos eat cotton candy, red turf & ha

My 130D CUC consisted of about 25 Snails

6 - Ceriths, 6 - Nassarius, 6 Margarita Turbos, 6 Astrea & Banded Trochus, 2 Mexican Turbos

alexpsy

Lots of nutrients in your tank.Also if algae consumes the PO4 it is undetectable through test kits.Starve it out.Good luck

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Wow I don't have near that many snails.

take a look at this... ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Quick Crew (34 RSM)

Quick Crew (34 RSM)
Price: $33.10

Ask a question about this product

Shipped for free via Priority Mail you will get:

47 Dwarf Ceriths - small cleaners that get to the nooks and crannies. Feed on diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. Nocturnal cleaners that leave the sandbed at night to search for food.

12 Nassarius - scavengers that will eat leftover food and some fish waste. They will stir sand, but can also be kept in bare bottom tanks.

15 Florida Ceriths - small cleaners that get to the nooks and crannies. Feed on fine hair algae, diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. Nocturnal cleaners that leave the sandbed at night to search for food.

8 Large & 9 Small to Medium Nerites - We are currently offering the longer lived and quite hardy Antillean Nerite. (Nerita fulgurans). It grows to a nice size,and consumes a good deal of diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. It will also consume some fine hair algae. A nocturnal herbivore that will feed more often at night, they tend to need some time to adjust to the limitations of the aquarium during their first week.

carlfike

So I ordered a new cuc
5 scarlet hermits
10 Mexican turbos
1 abalone
6 trochus
6 turban
Should go well with my existing 12 snails and 5 hermits.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
That should put a dent in the algae along with keeping up you maintenance & not overfeeding

10 Mexican turbos - is a lot... you will need to watch for them running out of algae to eat