Rod's Food - dumb question

mzreenie

How to you feed frozen Rod's Food? I've heard that you should not rinse it, but do you thaw it? Or just float a chunk?

When I received the food today, I broke off a dime sized piece and floated it while still frozen. I figured that as it thawed the fish would nibble at it. Well, my female clown immediately grabbed the entire frozen chunk and fed it to one of my anemones. So, that was the end of that, no leftover's for anyone else.

How do you feed with Rod's Food?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
That must have been like an ice cream sundae for the nem! Haven't used Rod's yet but my LFS carries it now.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I often feed frozen, by adding it to a cup & with turkey baster, I add, 1/2 cup water & swirl until unfrozen, then I squirt all over the tank...

mzreenie

Thanks Nanoreefing. That definitely sounds like a better idea.

The funny thing is that in the same shipment with the Rod's Food I had received some frozen Silversides and I had planned to feed a piece of Silverside to the Anemone's after the fish had eaten. Oh well, next time.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I use Rod's almost exclussively. I've started "dabbling" with a couple of other "treats" but my basic food is Rod's Original and Rod's Algae blend.

With Rod's I don't rinse but I do thaw in some RO/DI. Then I use a feeder tube (BigJay's PYREX feeder) and feed the tank that way.

If I'm out of town I do this same thing but re-freeze in the correct amount and my tank sitter merely drops a frozen "PUCK" into the tank still frozen.

Glenn you gotta really get them to order some Rod's in. I got mine to and now he has a tough time keeping it in the store once people started using it.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I have been after them & got other member of local reef club asking them too...

+1 With Rod's I don't rinse but I do thaw in some RO/DI. Then I use a feeder tube (BigJay's PYREX feeder) and feed the tank that way.

This is what I plan to do :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Glenn stick with him. I can tell you that my LFS is THRILLED that they started carrying it. If you want me to call a few times to "inquire" I'll be glad to :)

StevieT

RS Sponsor
I love Rods food and so does my mandarin.

I just break off small pieces and pinch and grind in the water. Fish could care less if it is still frozen. It warms up quick enough.

If I want to target feed in goes some rods and water. Put in the microwave for 10 seconds. Suck it up with my feeder, blast the acans. nom nom nom

TonyV

I pinch off a tiny piece, turn off my circ pumps and let it blendorize in my Vortech MP20. It evenly disperses it throughout the tank and everyone gets fed.

BLAKEJOHN

I just take a little bit of tank water in a two oz cup and add the rods food to the cup. Let thaw then swirl to break it apart and pour into tank.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I picked up some Rod's Original yesterday, this stuff is not cheap but then again, nothing in this hobby is cheap!! I will say that all of the fish loved it!! :thumbup:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
It's not cheap but it goes a LONG way! Break off WAY less than what you plan to use because it's fairly well compacted in the bag.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Yeah, I found that our yesterday when I broke off a chunk and put it in cup of tank water to thaw. I was spooning it into the tank teaspoon by teaspoon and there was quite a bit, but the kids were chowing!

cabolick

I have a small plastic cup that I use to dip out a little tank water, and throw in a chunk of the frozen Rod's in. Add a couple drops of Kent Garlic in there also. I may go half Rod's one day with Cyclops or Mysis shrimp. It just depends.