Roaming anemones?

Hey guys, i heard the anemones move around the tank until they find a spot they like, and then stay there. i wanted to know if this is true. and if it is then i might get one becuase i dont want it moving aound and hurting other corals. right now i dont have any corals in my tank, so i was thinking getting an anemone now and letting it roam and finding its spot now would be a good idea. i have a coralife 2x 250 watt MH 2x96 watt CP actinics and 4 led moonlights. This is all on my 75 gallon tank. Thanks.

opiea1c

thats true to an extent, some will do that and some will stay right where you put them to start with, and some will never stop moving, also word to the wise if one does seem to "stay put" any changes in current or lighting conditions could cause them to roam around the tank again, but they have their own personalities

Slickcg33

i know they move. but i heard they stop moving around when they find the "spot" they like. i wanted to know if this is true

Its not necessarily a spot they like, its Conditions.
Lighting, parameters, current, and tank inhabitants all are things that cause the nems to move. If it finds a suitable spot it will stay put until something changes in the above mentioned categories. It could stay put for years, and then one small thing gets out of whack for a couple minutes, and then they are on the move again

Do you know any certain kinds of anemone that are less likely to move or do they all move when they feel like it. or certain ones move a lot and others move less.

Slickcg33

They all move if conditions aren't right.
There are certain species like M.doreensis (LTA) that prefer to plant their foot into the sand, and if they do end up roaming they are probably less likely to get onto the rock work.

GrendelPrime

another thing to keep in mind is by roaming that meens over power heads and other equipment that can chop them up and nuke ur tank so make sure everything is covered to minimize the chances of the anemone getting ground up

cindyp

all mine move. one was killed by a ph and the others live behind my rock work so its work to even see them. I am done with nem's.