RO/DI size model recommendation

essmaker

PREMIUM
Looking for good quality unit but only need about 20 gallons per week.

Any suggetsions?

Tired of going to the LFS for water. :hammerhea

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Keep in mind that it's not really the Gallons per Week you want to look into. It's how many gallons per day you'll need for emergencies, water changes etc. Also be SURE to calculate your need in TWENTY FOUR hours. If you get a 50gpd unit that's 50 gallons over a 24hr period or 2.08 gallons per hour (in IDEAL conditions). If you needed 20 gallons you'd need to allow about 9.6hrs (again under IDEAL conditions).

Why not add just a few dollars more and get one rated for say 100gpd just in case you don't want/need to wait 9 hrs.

Just my 2 cents :)

essmaker

PREMIUM
Thanks everybody.

Al: You're right again. I think I will shoot for a 75-100 gpd system.

Astiesi: That "plus" system looks like a good unit at a good price. Might have to add it to my cart.

essmaker

PREMIUM
Anthony - thanks again, ordered the plus system just now. Looks like a darn good unit!

To think that tomorrow might be the last planned run to the LFS for water. :woohoo:

BobBursek

eesmaker, and Big Al,
Most if not all 100gpd units Ro membrane are pnly 90% rejection rate which means you will use up your DI resin faster, a lesser GPD unit Ro membrane is 96-98% rejection rate, example, Your inlet TDS's are 500, a 100gpd at 90% rejection rate gives you 50 TDS's for your DI resin to clean up. lets take the average of 97% of the lesser units, that is 15 TDS's for your DI resin to clean up. it will last 3 times longer, and Di resin is expensive. Plus RO membranes are rated at 60psi at 77*F water anything less in any combo will lower production water, anything higher in any combo will increase it. go with a 50-75gpd unit.Give me a temp, presure, and source water TDS and I will give you calculators to figure out how much water per day for your unit.

essmaker

PREMIUM
Holy cow am I ignorant. I understand everything you just said, but had no idea there was that much to RO/DI systems.

I always invisioned hook water up on one side and get better water out on the other side. :)

I ordered a 75god unit that has a pressure guage and a dual TDS monitor.

I like the approach of getting a bigger than needed unit. And I now have a feeling I will be learning some more about how to use it.

Thanks for the input. You just got me doing even more research. Education is a good thing.

astiesi

In my opinion that's an excellent choice. Let us know what you think of it when it comes in. The only thing you may want to add on, especially if you are setting up a dedicated storage container, is the float switch. Right now I'm not using one based on my setup but it would make life easier, not having to worry about shutting it down before overflowing the container.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Bob just for kicks here is what I have:

110gpd RO membrane

Source water: 150 - 200TDS

pressure avg 70+

In winter I get around 3.5 gph (cold ground/water temps) but now I'm getting 5+gph with zero TDS

Schwa

Its not where you buy your RO unit it is whats in the housings that really makes a difference as any RO with standard sized housings and filters can be turned into any RO/DI unit you want. I bought mine off ebay and changed out the Carbon block and added a vertical DI and now have a 100 GPD unit that rivals any of the best and cost me a hundred buck less including all the upgrades I did. I fortunately only have source water with TDS at 75-85ppm but I do have chloramines in my city water so it requires a special kind of carbon block. I didnt see anyone mention this so if you are on city water check with your water department and find out if they use chloramines and yes chlorine is different. Chloramines are a chemical similar to chlorine but it is bonded to ammonia so it wont evaporate. If you just have the standard shell carbon filter change it out immediately or you will end up that stuff in your tank.

essmaker

PREMIUM
Just got in my new 5 Plus unit from Bulk Reef Supply (thanks astieti). Man does thing thing rock!

I can't recommend this thing more.

Everything was in the box that i needed to hook it up. Simple as follow the instructions!

I am finally making my own water. What a happy day.

Thanks all for your input and help.

astiesi

I never expected how much simpler the RO/DI unit would make life. There's just something about not having to run to the store with a bunch of 7 gallon jugs. Glad to hear your liking the unit!

essmaker

PREMIUM
Just a quick follow up.

I have now been making my own RODI water including SW for my water change.

I am getting 000TDS out of my unit and did my water change last night (way after the LFS closed) with a big stupid grin on my face.

Why the heck didn't someone make me do this sooner?

Did I mention that I have topoff water being made right now as I sit having and adult beverage typing this message? No? Well I should.

Thanks again to all (in this thread and others I read) for your advice.

Bob just for kicks here is what I have:

110gpd RO membrane

Source water: 150 - 200TDS

pressure avg 70+

In winter I get around 3.5 gph (cold ground/water temps) but now I'm getting 5+gph with zero TDS

That's an ebay unit, right? (There's no such thing as a membrane spec'd at 110 gpd). What you'll have in the system is a 100 gpd membrane. If you feed it higher pressure than was spec'ed by the manufacturer, sure - you can get 110 gpd and more.

Russ