Ritteri Help

mrlimpet

Could someone please help me with this. I have had my ritteri for more than a year and it has been doing amazing. That is until I got another coral. My ritteri had moved to its well suited place in my tank, in terms of flow and light. I bought a colt coral and slightly repositioned my flow for it. My ritteri was obviously unhappy and moved to the back glass wall of my tank. From there it stayed on the glass, but looped around to the front glass wall. Now it is still on the glass and its tentacles are starting to wither up. Could someone please tell me how to hopefully move it back to a nicer spot in my tank where it will be happy (And hopefully not die). Thanks.

rmlevasseur

I don't suggest moving it. You might tear the foot and it will just move back to where it wants to be.

Now might be a good time to recheck all water parameters. If you've kept a mag alive for a year chances are you have a healthy specimen that is pouting about something. If you really suspect the colt, I'd pull it. Colts are a dime a dozen but a healthy mag is very rare.

I wish you the best. Please keep us informed how it goes. I've lost a mag and I won't try it again, although they are easily my fav nem.

You said you redirected the flow. This is probably what made the nem move. As stated, check all water params and try to get the water flow back like it was.

mrlimpet

O Gosh. I just came home and all the fish in my tank are dead. And the anemone is dying. Could the anemone dying be what cause the fish to die?

l3fty999

O Gosh. I just came home and all the fish in my tank are dead. And the anemone is dying. Could the anemone dying be what cause the fish to die?

You will see how an anemone can nuke a tank when it dies, just search the forums, I am sure you will see it mentioned many times. I've had that happen myself. The instant you see one die, pull it!

Take care
Aaron

mrlimpet

Thanks for replying everyone. But the anemone's not exactly dead yet. When I tried to take it off the glass it stuck on real hard. But I did remember once a couple days before the fish died the anemone was releasing this white, webby, stringy stuff. Is that the poison? The anemone's not releasing that stuff anymore. Is there a way I can save the anemone.

l3fty999

Thanks for replying everyone. But the anemone's not exactly dead yet. When I tried to take it off the glass it stuck on real hard. But I did remember once a couple days before the fish died the anemone was releasing this white, webby, stringy stuff. Is that the poison? The anemone's not releasing that stuff anymore. Is there a way I can save the anemone.

If you had a picture, that would help, but anemones will spew out their internal organs when stressed.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
If the Anemone is decaying then yes it could wipe out the tank, IMHO I'd recommend a large water change, have you checked your parameters ?

releasing this white, webby, stringy stuff.

I agree with l3fty999 it may be expelling it's mesenterial filaments as well as it's zooxanthellae, definitely a bad sign and I'd consider removing it if it continues to degrade.

mrlimpet

Well here are some pictures.

This is the anemone before it started to die.
Unknown.jpg

These are picture of the dying anemone right now.
DSCN2087.jpg

DSCN2081.jpg

DSCN2078.jpg

DSCN2076.jpg

DSCN2075.jpg

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
It appears to me that it may be trying to split which is another sign of severe stress. Have you done any water changes ? Have you checked your parameters and if so could you post them ?

mrlimpet

To be perfectly honest, the powerhead is plugged in. All my corals need it. No needs to worry though. In the picture it may seem dangerous to the anemone but the anemone would not be able to fit into it. And anyway the anemone's not sticking to the powerhead anymore.

Slickcg33

It doesn't matter if the anemone is "to big" to get sucked into it. Its very fleshy and even one tentacle can suck the entire thing in. It appears to me from the picture that your anemone has a lot of fa-lay scars from that power head. Cloudy water could have been from it getting tentacles cut off.. move the power head to a different location as fast as possible, i believe that is your problem. after getting that situated, we have to figure out why it moved in the first place...

mrlimpet

Thanks for answering but the water wasn't cloudy and the tentacles were not cut off. I would be able to tell because the tips are white.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Hello mrlimpet,
From the look of the rocks in your tank the the diatom growth it appears your system is not mature yet. I am also questioning your entire setup because I looked at all you previous posts and there is no mention of your system at all. Could you please start a tank journal with what size tank, lighting and equipment so we can better advise you? Without knowing your system and water parameters there is no possible way to identify the issues you are having. There seem to be many from your other posts.
I have to take a guess though and say your lighting is insuficient for an anemone and your water parameters are off from the look of your glass and rocks. You have a ton of nutrients in your water.
Hopefully you will take this advice and start a tank journal. You can start it in this forum: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/reef-chronicles/ just click new thread and try to post some pictures of your tank and equipment. Thanks!!

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
One point that often gets lost with anemones, is that the anemone is the last cnidarian added to the tank. Once it goes in, you should stop adding corals and fiddling with equipment upgrades. They don't cope well with change.

I hesitate to advise what you should do as all your options carry risk. Anemones move becuase of water flow, lighting, lack of food, or an acceptable hiding place, though the last not so much for ritteris. Change one of these enough and the nem should move. Lord knows where to though.

Good luck