Returning to RS! 55 Gallon CUBE!!!! Many Pics *Updating*

cah73

Hi all! I have been outta the game for a while, but Im coming back with even more passion for this awesome hobby! Im super excited to setup my 55 gallon glass CUBE tank again. The tank itself without the frame measures 23x23x23.

I decided to reseal the tank after it seemed to have a small leak when I filled it with test water. Everything went smoothly and i filled the tank with ~9lbs of liverock, ~35lbs of dry rock, ~15lbs of dry sand and ~20lbs of livesand. Threw a deli shrimp in there and started the cycle .

After about 5 weeks, my nitrate levels were around 20ppm and ammonia and nitrites were zippo. did the first 10%WC today. I am running a 12 gallon eshoppes sump, which i dont really like. (Looking for suggestions on a good setup for this and have a small 5 gal glass tank at my disposal). This is the first time I have owned a protein skimmer, and went with an ASM mini g.
Also, I have the ability to run filter socks, which I dont really like because I have to clean them/switch em out very often, but does anyone think I should be running carbon/filter socks/ or some other media before adding CUC?

As for lighting... I have had one of those coralife MH units (150w) and running a HQI 20k bulb, for a very long time when i previously had the tank setup. It seemed to work very well with the LPS corals I had. Im definately going to get a fresh bulb before I throw any corals in there. Does this lighting seem sufficient? I am considering an upgrade, but still contemplating that since I am planning on sticking to mostly LPS (zoas, acans, caulastrea, among others), maybe one or two SPS if its possible with the lighting...

Im also running 2 powerheads, and planning on adding some more liverock with a CUC. I have a pretty open aquascape too, which is why I love the CUBE setup.. Anyhoo thanks for looking, here are the first pics, and Ill be updating as I go! any comments or suggestions are always welcome!!!:dance:

Reseal:

image1.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Day 1:

image2.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Ugly and Unfortunate sump/skimmer setup(just added a filter sock today for a few days):

photo.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

After 1st WC. I have kept the lights off for the entire cycle.. just turned the on for effect here!:colorful:

image.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Pretty nice setup! I love cubes, such a nice scape layout. I've see some awesome island setips

cah73

Switched out the 20k for a 14k, to help the incoming corals grow...CUC coming tomorrow, hopefully will help with the algae that is on its way. Clowns and sandsifting star added. Preforming 5g WCs every 5 days.

56E45A47-5ACE-47AC-A351-F61B5DCF6096-3703-00000210887CC8EF.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

theplantman

Looks great, might be a tad early for a sand sifting star, you don't have much in the way of food in there yet I would think. keep an eye on him and try to target feed if you can.

Welcome back!

cah73

Looks great, might be a tad early for a sand sifting star, you don't have much in the way of food in there yet I would think. keep an eye on him and try to target feed if you can.

Welcome back!

Thanks! and yes I know Im taking a gamble on him, especially now that he is competing for food with my CUC, but I have been trying to target feed every other day.... does anyone know the signs I should be aware of if he is, shall I say "hungry" or malnourished?

Also, slight algae growth is starting to occur... Just tested the water today, everything looks in check, assuming its the "new tank" algae. CUC is keeping the rocks clean (+1 for reefs2go.com) just ordered some caulerpa, Chaeto, and copepods for the sump/refug...prob will throw some pods in the tank too... Also have 2 shaving brushes, some zoas, and some more snail en route... will post some pics in a few days! Would love to hear more suggestions from you all!

happy reefkeeping!!

cah73

Also, I have been having second thoughts about the sandsifting star....might be returning him soon:away:

cah73

Update...tank is doing well...just added a shaving brush, some chaeto and caulerpa, along with some candy apple zoas(10 days and still not opened)...i am in the process of building a refugium that is separate from the sump with a custom setup... i have built a stand to raise the tank 12.5 inches above the sump.... here is the link that is tied to this project, pics and a diagram is included.. still exploring lighting options for the fuge...need it to be compact

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...m-setup-conjunction-existing-sump-urgent.html

Last edited:

cah73

Well had some issues in the past few weeks (http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...ically-safe-else-lesson-learned-wild-pic.html) , but I am in the process of working everything out!
Picked up a small ricordia and a falcos hawkfish.. all are doing welll, pics to come... I have also completed my custom fuge setup...dispite my ball valve mishap(tossed it).. seems to be working well, below are pics... I have a new ball valve on the way... more to come! Happy Reefkeeping!

edit** oh and also added some chaeto and liverock to the fuge

anthony27

That blue tube on the venturi ) intake pipe of the skimmer, I would remove it. You will get more air intake in the skimmer then having a restriction like that.

cah73

doesnt the adjustment of that knob modify the size of the bubbles through air restriction? It allows you to control the type of skimmate...Looking for someone to chime in here...not 100% on that

anthony27

Yeah but that raises the hight in the skimmer. The Intake pulls air in and provides the thickness of the bubbles. The thicker the bubbles the more air ur pulling in. Hence the skimmer I have is the reef octo extream with bubble blaster pump, it acts like a turbine pulling massive amounts of air in.

Sorry to hijack the thread :/

landshark

cah73, not sure about the skimmer but you are correct that the knob adjust the air flow, but i think you should have a nob to adjust the amount of water in the skimmer chamber IMO. also you want to stay away from any metal clamps or ball valves, if you need pluming supply you can get it from Bulk Reef supply they have almost everything that you would need to setup your sump. Also there are some video that will help also.

cah73

cah73, not sure about the skimmer but you are correct that the knob adjust the air flow, but i think you should have a nob to adjust the amount of water in the skimmer chamber IMO. also you want to stay away from any metal clamps or ball valves, if you need pluming supply you can get it from Bulk Reef supply they have almost everything that you would need to setup your sump. Also there are some video that will help also.

thanks, yea the skimmer has a separate adjustment for the water level...but yea i just ordered some plastic ball valves and some other stuff 2 days ago...im just glad that i caught it before too long...

cah73

Been a couple months since I have updated, and I will try to get some pictures before the holiday rolls around! I have many new items and a nice piece of equipment on the way!

Livestock additions:
About 7.5 lbs of liverock!
Red and green candy cane corals (3-4 heads each)
Green/Purple Acan (4 heads)
Orange Stereoneptha
Green Star Polyps
Starburst Polyps
Blueberry Gorgonian
Neon Green/Purple Blastomussa (10 heads in 2 frags, will be gifting one away!)
Yellow Sun Polyps (tubastrea)
Klausewitz Blenny
six-line wrasse

These were all added over time, but everything seems to be doing well! I will try to get pics up tomorrow!

ALSO, on the way is my new lighting fixture! EcoTech Radion XR30w! That wont be here until Monday, prob wont get to mounting it until the New Year!

Happy Holidays everyone!

cah73

Here are some pics up the new livestock and aquascape! I used my iphone, sorry for blurry pics. My fish love getting their pics taken haha

Tanks a little dirty! orry about that! I have more CUC on the way!

cah73

Mounted my Radion over my tank this weekend. Also picked up a Neon dottyback. So after searching and searching all over, I decided to make my own graph. For now my max intensity is 50% for only 4 hours a day and it dwindles from there over 12 hours. I mounted the lights and got them running...everything is going pretty well inside the tank. I did notice that when I had a very deep blue running, my mated clowns turned to a black color due to the lighting, and the female was kickin the male outta their cove! So I made sure that I nixed that color from the schedule by adding some white. I'll post my schedule here after the new year. But here are pics of my setup over my 60gal tank. I mounted the light 9.5" above my water level. Also used a VESA TV ceiling mount to mount the lights.

forestal

Just went through the thread great looking tank!
Your tubastrea look a bit withered- make sure you target feed each head (non photosynthetic - sorry if I am telling you something you know)- I always like using cyclopeeze soaked my sis from piscine equations.

cah73

forestal, thanks for your concern! I usually feed them more often, but I was gone for a few days for the holiday! Fed them as soon as I got back@!!!

Just picked up a used MP10 Vortech, moved some rock work, and picked up a blueberry gorgo!...pics to come!