Return pumps.

So is there come kinda calculator for calculating how much water going from your aquarium up top to your sump below? I have a 20 gallon aquarium i plan on going to a 15 gallon sump/refugium. How big of a return pump will I need? Anything will help.
Gracias.
- Charley

Reddog170

Check out the via aqua pumps from Foster and Smith. It does depend on your overflow though. What it is rated for it what determines the pump you need. For example my overflow is rated at 800 GPH so I have a return pump rated for 100 GPH, and choke it down a little. Hope this helps, Shaun

Check out the via aqua pumps from Foster and Smith. It does depend on your overflow though. What it is rated for it what determines the pump you need. For example my overflow is rated at 800 GPH so I have a return pump rated for 100 GPH, and choke it down a little. Hope this helps, Shaun

Well I plan on having a drilled tank so is that the overflow? and if you have a 800 GPH and you have a return pump rated for 100 GPH that doesn't make sense? Shouldn't they be equal?

I agree on the Via Aqua pumps, pretty solid for a cheap pump. :)

As far as flow rate: You can go below but never above. If you have an 800gph overflow, you can get a 700gph pump, 800gph may be pushing it simply because its maxing it out. I wouldn't go 100% matched, even though the head pressure on a 800gph pump will make it less than 800.

Alien2100

You bring up a very good point partypalooza,

Charley Tay Tay you'll also want to consider that all pumps lose GPH has they pump water up. Meaning for every foot in height, there's an amount of loss in GPH, you'll want to consider this when making your choice on a pump. Example I use a Mag 9.5 rated at 950gph, however my return is about 5' up, so my tanks only sees around 725gph. You also have a small amount of loss for every bend in your plumbing, but unless you have a lot of bends I wouldn't be worried about that. Almost every company out there has charts to help you make the best choice on a pump, once you know what your overflow is rated for.

So if you go below, wouldn't your sump eventually fill up with water and overflow? Like if the water leaving your tank is leaving at 800 GPH. And you have a return pump thats pushing it back up at 700 GPH wouldn't the Sump eventually fill up with water and overflow? Maybe I'm just not getting something lolz.

Alien2100

It's okay,
Think of it this way, you only have one pump. So if the pump puts less water into the tank, less water drains out into the sump. The overflow rating is just that a rating, it's the "max" recommended amount the drain line can handle. Meaning if you exceed the maximum rated amount of water into the tank by a significant amount you may overflow your tank. I say significant amount because most overflows will handle a bit more water then there rated for. The only way you can really overflow your sump, is if your water level is to high to accommodate for what water drains back down into it during a power outage.

It's okay,
Think of it this way, you only have one pump. So if the pump puts less water into the tank, less water drains out into the sump. The overflow rating is just that a rating, it's the "max" recommended amount the drain line can handle. Meaning if you exceed the maximum rated amount of water into the tank by a significant amount you may overflow your tank. I say significant amount because most overflows will handle a bit more water then there rated for. The only way you can really overflow your sump, is if your water level is to high to accommodate for what water drains back down into it during a power outage.

Gahhh! Yes! It all makes sense to me now! I'm a freaking genius. Okay sorry I just have a major brain fart when it comes to plumbing. Alrighty so sweet. Do I need a overflow box? Or can I just have the whole drilled up higher?

Gahhh! Yes! It all makes sense to me now! I'm a freaking genius. Okay sorry I just have a major brain fart when it comes to plumbing. Alrighty so sweet. Do I need a overflow box? Or can I just have the whole drilled up higher?

You'll probably want to put an overflow box around the hole with the "teeth" on the top to keep fish/etc from going into your sump.

Alien2100

No worries,
If your display tank does not have a built in overflow. Your probably going to want to use a Hang On Back Overflow Box, or install your own overflow box, which can be tricky since it would require drilling holes in the tank. I'm sure there are ways around this, maybe someone else can give you idea's about other options.

Well would it really? I mean how much does it cost to have a hole drilled in you tank? Because if its less the 60 bucks(Eshopps HOB overflow box cheapest thing the seems to work), then wouldn't drilling it be worth it?

Alien2100

You would have to drill the tank for a drain line and return line, buy or built a overflow wall, plus the plumbing fittings needed for the a drain and return line. All and all, it's easier to just buy the overflow box.

Or you can just drill for the drain and build a "U" tube for the return, that's what I did and it works pretty good.

Easiest is to buy the hang on back overflow.

Safest is to drill the tank, gravity doesn't fail (usually)

You can drill the tank yourself for a total of maybe 30 bucks including the bulkhead fitting.

Mkayy. The one thing I'm a little worried about HOB overflow box is. What if a fish gets stuck in the suction chamber then clogs it? And the return pump, pumps to much water up into my aquarium causing the aquarium to overflow?

Mkayy. The one thing I'm a little worried about HOB overflow box is. What if a fish gets stuck in the suction chamber then clogs it? And the return pump, pumps to much water up into my aquarium causing the aquarium to overflow?

Clogging by fish is possible but not really something to worry about. If the fish gets through the teeth it's probably small enough to fit through a 1" drain pipe down to the sump.

I've had a hang on back overflow box for a few years now and it hasn't caused a problem once. Just be sure everything is level.

Drilling is my suggestion for many reasons: safety, aesthetics, ease of use, space requirements, etc

Alien2100

A clogged drain line is always a concern, whatever causes the clog. That's what the fins are in the overflow box for, to help keep out fish snails etcetera. However it can happen, a strainer over the drain will help prevent any disasters though.