Replacing Circulation Pumps Again

LPSLuver

In an effort to increase my DT turnover rate for increased tank health (detritus removal) I am replacing my MJ1200, which replaced the 2 stock pumps, with 2 Eheim Compact 1000's. They have up to 265 gph flow (adjustable) and look as if they will fit (I hope). They are pretty heavy pumps so mounting them may be a challenge but if it works I will have some really good flow. I'll prolly do it tonight while watching the idiot box. I'll keep you updated.

BTW...seems like vodka dosing is having a positive impact on my Hair Algae problem. Do some research if you are interested. It's really pretty simple. My only challenge was that I had no measurable nitrate or phosphate. I know I have phosphate issues or I would not have HA. So my determination of success is based on visual evidence not an actual measurable reduction in nitrates or phosphates.

Octoman

If you want some serious flow, look into the Sure Flow mod kit for the Maxijet 1200. It boosts it from 295gph to 2100gph...

LPSLuver

If you want some serious flow, look into the Sure Flow mod kit for the Maxijet 1200. It boosts it from 295gph to 2100gph...
2100gph in a Red Sea Max would be way out of control and far too much flow from one pump. I've used that mod kit in my other tank and was not impressed. They were loud and vibrated. They no longer worked well on the Red Sea Wave maker. Other people have had success with them but I am not one of them.

Octoman

That might be a bit much for an RSM, I didn't look at what forum this was...

Mine has been great, but I don't use it on a wavemaker.

cbrownfish

Your algae is consuming the excess nutrients, giving you a "false zero" reading. Additionaly, hobbyist grade tests only detect free PO4.

LPSLuver

Your algae is consuming the excess nutrients, giving you a "false zero" reading. Additionaly, hobbyist grade tests only detect free PO4.
Exactly what I surmised. I've believed for many years that hobbyist PO4 test kits are of little use because of these types of misleading results. I also believe that if you have measurable PO4 and algea issues the issue is "worse" than the kit may indicate.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
LPSLuver - let us know how the Eheim install went. On the topic of flow, I just had a Vortec MP20 delivered today. Hopefully I'll have the time to put it in the RSM tomorrow and see what it does. Yes, I know I'm crazy, but I've seen so many good reviews on it being used in nanos, including RSMs, to generate a very broad current & programmable wave action, that I had another (hopefully temporary) loss of sanity. Whenever I get the time to put it in the tank and get it it going I'll create a post on it.

steveh

I suggest you watch the filter flow carefully as you may be installing pumps with too much flow if you're adding them to the filter chamber. There would be a good chance they will run the filter dry.