Replacing Bio-Balls with LR

dwall174

I have read that using LR in place of the Bio-balls in a wet dry filter will still give you the aerobic bacteria you need & also provide some anaerobic bacteria deep within the LR! My question is do you also need to provide a light source for the LR in the bio-chamber?

Cougra

If all you are going to use it for is biological filtration, don't care abut the rock getting coraline algae and don't want any macro algae, then no, you don't need light in the chamber with live rock.

dwall174

Thanks Cougra

Yea that’s all it's for is the biological filtration, I have a seperate above tank refugium so I don't need any coralline or macro algae in the sump! I just don’t want to add another light if it’s not needed!

Maxx

Its not needed at all. One of the best LFS here in STL does that exact thing. But what I find interesting is the way the spray (almost like a spray from a Windex bottle...you know the two settings...spray and stream??? I hope this makes sense...) the live rock.....this is how they keep it wet.....I dont know if this is done is order to increase contact time or what...but its working just fine for them.
Nick

Curtswearing

Bio-balls are more efficient in fish only systems. They are not the best solution in reef tanks. LR is definately better in that situation. You will want to pre-filter the water going in so that detritus doesn't get trapped in the pile of live rock. You will also periodically want to turkey baste the detritus that settles in the bottom of the wet/dry.

dwall174

Originally posted by Curtswearing
You will want to pre-filter the water going in so that detritus doesn't get trapped in the pile of live rock.
I think I got that part covered! :D I have a separate sediment style pre-filter tank (check gallery) that collects most of the detritus, The water is skimmed off the top & goes through another sponge filter before getting to the sump.

My next question is how much of the LR should be above the water line? Here’s an old pic of my sump just after I removed the bio-balls.

Attachments

• sump level.jpg
    sump level.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 30

dwall174

I could just lower the sumps level however I have everything set for running at that level including my top-off & water change system

I could change some plumbing & gain a couple of inches (3" at most) that I could raise the Bio-Chamber so that I would have more wet/dry area?

Or I could just drill a hole in the side of the Bio-Chamber raise it about 6"~8" higher then re-plumb it through the side! This would give me the most wet/dry surface area? Some thing like this.

Attachments

• bio-chamber.jpg
    bio-chamber.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 28

Curtswearing

I know that a LFS here in St. Louis has some of the LR above the water. However, if this was my tank, I would have 100% of it submerged 24/7. Bacteria not only live ON it they also live IN it. IMO your waterflow will bring sufficient Oxygen and unlike what you have likely read, the submerged bio-balls can provide denitrification. However, LR is definately more effective. The biofilm that bacteria create ON the LR is actually thick enough for anaerobic bacteria to do their thing....it just might not be enough if your bioload is too high or your maintenance practices are too low.

You should do what you want...I'm just telling you what I would do.

Last edited:

dwall174

Originally posted by Curtswearing
I know that a LFS here in St. Louis has some of the LR above the water. However, if this was my tank, I would have 100% of it submerged 24/7
Sounds good to me! :D
I didn't really want to re-work the plumbing! :rolleyes: The way it is now I will still have over ¾ of it under water all the time.