Removing Copper (New to SW)

danewell

I am going to be trading someone my 20g for a 55g they need a new QT and I am planning on turning the 55g into a reef tank. The only thing is that the 55g had copper used in it. How do I go about cleaning this so I can put corals, live rock, and inverts in the tank safely?

deehz

Hi and welcome to RS!! Great reef forum with great people.

Now about your new tank with copper. Not worth it. Copper ions are tricky little buggers in that they can attach themselves freely to just about anything. Yet trying to remove them is even more difficult. Sorry to be a barer of bad news but the truth is, this tank is not worth adding livestock. Copper is highly toxic even in the tiniest amounts can be lethal to most reef inhabitants and most probable, the tank already has copper ions attached to it. Sorry I couldn't give you better news. :( From all that I have read on treating copper in a tank or qt system, once a system has seen copper in it, that's all she wrote.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Not that big a deal, copper will bind to rock and sand and glass but does break down over time and running chemi pure or poly pads for copper will reduce what is released. There are some methods for cleaning up glass that involved very nasty acids and solvents but I would avoid these as it is an accident waiting to happen. Scrub really well and rinse many times with ro/di water, don't reuse rock and sand, equipment should be cleaned really well and the chemi pure and pads installed, if your labour is cheap maybe this is ok, personally if its a used tank AND its had copper I would just shine it on lol