Rekkie's RSM250

Rekkie

Hi All,

The tank arrived a week ago yay (love this tank!), I was running it for three days with 250L of freshly collected seawater and a smaller piece of live rock from my 2 year old tank. Then transfered the rest of the rock and old tank water last night. Drip changed the couple of coral, fish, shrimp and a lonely hermit crab before moving them accross.

One of the rocks had around 100 baby shrimp type things in it and they ended up floating around the RSM, i was'nt sure what they were so i just figured if they survive the filtration then they deserve to live.

I have one Pepermint shrimp but they dont look like it, and i can hear clicking in the tank so it may be pistol shrimp lava. They dont seem to have the shrimp like arms that protrude forward, these seem to fold back towards it's tail like a mantis. Sorry the picture isnt clear.

All the water conditions are good. I plan to get another 15Kgs of live rock in a couple of weeks.

Attachments

• RSM250.jpg
    RSM250.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 390
  • DSC_6484.jpg
    DSC_6484.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 383
Last edited:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Nice to see you set up a tank thread! The clicking and description of the shrimp with the arms folded back does sound like a mantis.

Rekkie

Thanks all.

I have a few other pics of the baby hitchhicker.

Attachments

• DSC_6620.jpg
    DSC_6620.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 360
  • DSC_6622.jpg
    DSC_6622.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 359

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
The baby hitchhiker is an amphipod - good fish food!

Melevsreef.com - Amphipod

amphipod.jpg

Rekkie

Hi Reefmac,

Great thanks for the confirmation, I was worried they were bad. The Damsel and the clown did not realy consume many it was like they were try to avoid them.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
You're welcome. The larger ones may be a bit too big for those fish to eat, but if there are big ones there must be small ones also.

Rekkie

HI All,

A quick update, I added 10Kgs of fresh live rock yesterday.

Attachments

• DSC_6814.jpg
    DSC_6814.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 338

Rekkie

Hi All,

Thanks nanoreefing4fun alot easier with Photobucket.

The live rock comes from Karratha Western Australia, it was picked on Friday and taken directly to the LFS and purchased the next day and it's full of life. Its unreal how much poop is comming from both the 4 and 6kg rock recently added.

DSC_6801.jpg

DSC_6815.jpg

DSC_6824.jpg

DSC_6816.jpg

DSC_6818.jpg

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Beautiful rock scape and that rock is really full of life! Picture #4 looks a lot like a Maxi-Mini Anemone - a nice hitchhiker to get!

Rekkie

Hi Guys,

I have had to move the damsel fish out of the main tank as he was constantly harrasing the new phycodelic manderin fish I added 3 days ago. The damsel also forced the clown stay in the top corner of my tank and was constantly digging around my live rock.

The manderin fish doesnt seem to eat, I have tried mysis and brine shrimp but it does seem to peck at the rocks constantly though. I am hoping that he will settle down in a few days now that it is not so stressed from the damsel. Taking the damsel back to the LFS today.

The coral branded shrimp which is arond 1.5 inches hasnt realy eaten either and he was added about 4 days ago.

Current livestock is 1 x coral branded shrimp, 1 x pepermint shrimp, 1 x clown, 1 x manderin, 2 x snails. I dont want to remove most of my live rock again to catch a nasty fish.

My questions are will the CBS and manderin fish be ok or should i be trying a diffent food, and are there any recomendations regarding another fish that will not attack any of the current stock I have? I Was thinking of another manderin would this be ok? Many thanks in advance.

Rekkie

He does seem to be pecking all over the rocks now that he can explore them in peace. It's probably best that i dont add another fish untill he has settled, I plan to add another 5Kgs of live rock in the next few days and let that settle for a few weeks which should be enough time for him to settle in.