reef tank addiction

fish fun

good morning all,

Did not know this was going to be such an addicting hobby,Ive had my tank up and running for about three months now and already want a bigger one,thinking maybe 200 gallons or so,my tank now is a 38 gallon inovated marine,doing very well,cant wait to post pics soon.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
It is an ever going adiction . . no matter how big we go we always think "I think I would like bigger..." until we wake up one day and we are tank poor LOL!

Cant' wait to see pics :)

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
We've all been there. Take some advice. Dont go over 90g till you've been doing this a few years. Thats just friendly advice. Big Tanks come with their own can of worms. Tough to light, Expensive to buy, setup. Water changes get expensive, Skimmers, lights, pumps etc...all get outrageously expensive if you go above 75-90g tanks.

Up to you, your hobby. I wanted and wanted a 180 or 200...had it setup and running for 3 mo and i took it down and sold the tank. I love aquariums...but the big huge tanks are more work than i wana do.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I'm just getting back into this hobby & I LOVE IT. Always have!
I learned the 1st time (20 years ago) that there is a too small (did that)& there is a TOO BIG (did that too!) in saltwater tanks.
Each end depends on how much TIME & money you have to spend.
If you go too small, you wasted money because you will never be happy....if you go too big, You will spend too much time & money & still not be happy because it is too much work & $$$$. FIND YOUR HAPPY MEDIUM....before you buy.
Instead of getting a HUGE TANK this time, I went with a better system but smaller (65 gal). I chose quality over quantity, still expensive but not near the work & expense of a huge tank. I don't think bigger is always better.

fish fun

well my day is finelly at the end,just got home from a long day,I did get a chance to go out and look for a new tank,found a few I really like not gonna go to big though,think Im set on a 125 Ive got the perfect spot at our house for it and my girl is all for it,our 38 gallon inovated marine is awsome but I want more,haha,cant wait to post some pics of it.....

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
125 is a good size. I've had em before. Good luck. You've now been exposed to "the other white powder that breeds junkies(Aquarium Salt)". its ok. this is sorta the SW addict support group. We celebrate new addicts and help em learn to manage their addiction.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
May be that it's time to start your thread and POST THOSE PICTURES.
Excited to SEE & read about your build :chair::lurk: bring it on ;)

andrew45

The best size for tank is 75 gallon. As it provide good facilities and lot of space as well. But the size of 200 gallon is extra ordinery bigger and can't be handled easily.

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
I had originally planned for a 125gal, but had to settle for 90 as the original space was not optimal. I've only been doing this for 2 months and I'm already looking at something in the 50-60gal range for another room. :fingerx: