Reef Setup

tatuvaaj

Turf scrubber is a special filter using fast growing turf algae as an export method. It was/is patented by Dr. Walter Adey and was more popular in late 90s. In recent years people have been moving towards growing macro algae in refugiums (another method originally developed by Dr. Adey)

More info here: :: The Algal Turf Scrubber ::

burning2nd

theres not really any development there... Altho the dudes smart for saying he did it..

algae, will grow where ever the parameters permit growth..

you could plum a bucket put a light over it and have algae...

Export of nutrients is whats key

jnohs

I would like to add that I think you are over feeding. I belive that this is a major problem in most reef tank and especially ones battling alge. I feed once a month. I have

1 bicolor blenny
1 chromis
1 tang
1 clown

You probably think I am crazy but I think you should at least slow down to 2 tiny feedings a week.That should be plenty. Most people say that a tang needs food all day because it is a grazer. that is true but I see mine nipping and pulling all day and he is very healthy(knock on wood). If you are using any additives or balancers or anything like that I would stop. Other then pure calicum,mag,str or alkinity addatives.

Also as I do belive that a turff scrubber is nice. But I do not think you need one. Maybe if you keep feding a lot then it could be a good idea.

burning2nd

You probably think I am crazy but I think you should at least slow down to 2 tiny feedings a week.That should be plenty. Most people say that a tang needs food all day because it is a grazer. that is true but I see mine nipping and pulling all day and he is very healthy(knock on wood). If you are using any additives or balancers or anything like that I would stop. Other then pure calicum,mag,str or alkinity addatives.

agreed

Kovu

Okay i know it sounds like i am overfeeding but my fish hane mhille and they need to be fed more and better quality to get them back to being healthy so i was told to start feeding more.

Kovu

the nitartes are very high, i would do a 50 percent water change once then keep doing 10 perecent a week. what size tank do you have? also do u have any dirty filter pads that could be producing nitrates. lastly theres no way that brittle stars gonna live with nitartes that high.

Didnt see that post and hes doing fine i got him for free on live rock and he has grown 5 inchs so i guess he likes something in my tank.

BobBursek

Kovu,
one thing that you can do to clean your substrate is get a Python siphon and vacuum your substrate to get the algae and any waste products out of there that is feeding the algae.

Kovu

the one i have broke so i need to get another one but i cant because my parents are not here and will be gone for a week,so i am a little stuck.