Reef rock

Rooshi

Hi all

Can anyone tell me what's different about reef rock? Is it just because it has no coralline growing or is it completely different rock?
Sorry of its a stupid queation

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Reef Rock? Not sure what that is specifically...

When dealing with a Salt Water aquarium there is

Base Rock (could be dry or wet)
Live Rock

Base Rock simply means it has no living bacteria

Live Rock means it is colonized with living bacteria. It may or may not have other organisms on it (coral, hitch hikers, algae etc).

Rooshi

Thanks

Perhaps it's our equivalent of base rock it's what's in my QT for hiding purposes

Algae has started to grow but i wil be adding copper to treat fish will it prove to be a issue in any way?

Just to be clear it's only purpose is to provide hiding places and break te tank up as well as to make it look a bit more pleasing as its in the front room

Prob turn it into fish only ( couple small small fish) to keep the system going and to encourage me to maintain and monitor it

spring

Don't keep the rock in a tank that you are treating with copper. Go read the stickies in the fish and diseases section on how to treat fish for marine ICK. Lots of good information there.

Good luck.

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
spring said:
Don't keep the rock in a tank that you are treating with copper. Go read the stickies in the fish and diseases section on how to treat fish for marine ICK. Lots of good information there.

Good luck.

+1 no rock or sand in QT. Especially with copper...
Filtration should be a seeded sponge filter only.

For hiding places use large pvc pipe bends...

...."Fish" Happens!....

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Yeah the rock will absorb the copper and will never be usable again in a reef tank.

sk8rdn

Rooshi said:
wasnt planning on reusing as tank would be used for chemical treatments.

I'd worry about under/over dosing as the rock absorbs/leeches the medication over time...

...."Fish" Happens!....

Rooshi

Sk8rdn thanks enough said rock will be removed before I add any copper/medications

I wonder if this is the same for all medicines we use in QT or more importantly in the main system

Could dosing ever be correct in the Maine tank with reef safe chems? I mean rocks absord and potentially leech so when dosing MT how do you know that it isn't actually the reef safe white spot treatment that's not working or the fact it's being absorbed so dose isn't enough to treat

I don't believe everyone has a QT - reason I'm questioning if that's makes sense

Also for my own knowledge purpose as I read and have questions

Hope I'm not annoying anyone

sk8rdn

Rooshi said:
Sk8rdn thanks enough said rock will be removed before I add any copper/medications

I wonder if this is the same for all medicines we use in QT or more importantly in the main system

Could dosing ever be correct in the Maine tank with reef safe chems? I mean rocks absord and potentially leech so when dosing MT how do you know that it isn't actually the reef safe white spot treatment that's not working or the fact it's being absorbed so dose isn't enough to treat

I don't believe everyone has a QT - reason I'm questioning if that's makes sense

Also for my own knowledge purpose as I read and have questions

Hope I'm not annoying anyone

It's for this exact reason I do everything in my power NOT to dose my main tank... I just don't know, so I won't chance it.

...."Fish" Happens!....