Reef Octopus Questions

Reddog170

Well I helped out with a tank switch yesterday and ended up buying her old tank and skimmer. The skimmer is a Reef Octopus Hurricane 500. Now I have never messed with a recirculating skimmer before. Is the maxi jet 900 really all it needs to feed it? Do I have to do anything else with the second pump? It has a mesh mod and other than my Super Skimmer I have no experience with modified skimmers. What is a mesh mod? You hear about it but never hear what exactly it is.
I have been getting more and more in depth with reef chemistry and have figured out pretty quick that my skimmer was not keeping up. I think this skimmer will do the job, if I can get it all figured out. Now I have done nothing to it except giving it a good bath and removing the extra plumbing. She said it did not work right, but she had it plumbed to run outside and above her sump. I have in in a tub of old water from a water change and it "appears" to be working right.
Any tips on these skimmers and what I may want to do or avoid will be very appreciated. Thank You. Shaun

saltysupply

RS Sponsor
A maxi jet will not be enough for this skimmer, I would go with around 350-400gph depending on the size of your tank....The mesh mod is a way to modify the existing impeller for better efficiency however IMO is not worth it and requires to much maintenance...Essentially pump water to the skimmer and have it overflow back into the tank.