Reef Huskers New 250

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
No problem at all with my Flame Hawkfish - it doesn't bother any of my shrimp, snails or other fish. But, every fish can be different.

reefhusker

I'm having a little trouble deciding what my next fish is going to be. So I need some help. I would like one bigger fish, i.e. trigger, tang, or foxface. And then a flame hawkfish, and a flame angel, OR coral beauty, OR lemonpeel angel. I ran across this beauty on the Divers Den today. Moderate care level but he sure is pretty looking!
Drs. Foster and Smith Diver's Den® - Siganus magnificus
Or this:
Blue Throat Triggerfish
Or this:
Yellow Eye Kole Tang, Yelloweye Tang - Ctenochaetus strigosus
Any and all advice or experiences are welcome.

kyley

Hey Brad, I sent you an email with some of my thoughts on these earlier - but to elaborate...

I personally wouldn't want most of those larger fish for my tank, but a lot of people would keep fish like these while they're small, then give them away when they get too big. The One Spot Foxface (7") looks like it doesn't get as big as the Magnificent Foxface (9"). Keep in mind, larger fish make more waste - so you can have fewer fish total while keeping good water quality...

Triggerfish are cool - I would love to have one. There are very few reef-safe triggers (that someone here has or was telling me about), but they still get rather large.

I think the Kole tang would be a great choice. I plan to get one. They're much smaller than other tangs, they aren't as susceptible to Ich and such as other tangs, and they can help control some algae...

Flame and Coral Beauty angels both would be good. I wanted to get one of them, but decided not to b/c I want to have a clam. Flame Hawkfish - very cool fish too. Plan to get one as my last fish and hope he behaves :) Take care,
--Kyle

reefhusker

Hey all just took a couple pics I wanted to share:
Does this frogspawn look ok? It doesn't seem to be extending like it has in the past!
DSC00614.jpg

It's not the picture of the month, but apparently there's something with midas blenny's and barnacles! He has easily became my favorite so far.
DSC00613.jpg

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Nice pictures. The frogspawn looks OK to me, but nothing to compare it with. It doesn't look ill. I think you're correct on the barnacles!

reefhusker

Thanks Terry
Couple of other items of business
1. How do and what do you all use to clean the clear plastic light shield

2. I used my Elos tests and tested for calcium tonight (which I rarely do) and it read 400. With the corals I have I do no dosing. Is this an acceptable level? Maybe it doesn't matter too much for what I have (acans, favia, zoas, rics) Alkalinity was 9! Just curious

kyley

Looking good! I guess I may have the same experience once I get my Midas Blenny - b/c I ordered a barnacle cluster on eBay a few days ago :)

The frogspawn will extend more some times than others. There could be something in the water it doesn't like much (did you check pH?), maybe it had been disturbed, etc. You have a controller always reading your pH right? I just ordered a probe to keep in the tank - nice and easy :) Take care,
--Kyle

tvreaves

Hey all just took a couple pics I wanted to share:
Does this frogspawn look ok? It doesn't seem to be extending like it has in the past!

Do you feed the frogspawn? When mine isn't extending as much, I target feed it some frozen mysis. He'll extend like crazy after a meal. I feed him about once a week.

reefhusker

Do you feed the frogspawn? When mine isn't extending as much, I target feed it some frozen mysis. He'll extend like crazy after a meal. I feed him about once a week.

I target feed it every once in a while. It actually has 3 heads. Should I feed each head?
Thanks

reefhusker

I just noticed some sort of critters crawling around on the rock. They are very small (1/8 of an inch long tops). Most of them are transparent but one I saw was slightly greed. They have antennas on the front end and appear to have the shape of a mantis. Anybody have any ideas or links that I could compare.
Sorry, they're way to small for my camera!