Reef Breeders Proton LED

bluespotjawfish

https://www.reefbreeders.com/shop/photon-48/

Anyone else using this light? I love it and so reasonably priced too. The 48 regular is perfect for a 4' tank...the light itself is about 42 inches. I am using legs for mine but it also comes with a hanging kit. The 48 long would be great for a hard to fit 5'.

Can set sunny, cloudy, moon, custom, and manual. Has a remote control too.

DaveK

I look at something like this, and I think right off "if something seems too good to be true ..."

It's about half the price of other LED lighting. Considering that everyone has to get component parts from more or less the same manufacturers, a fixture selling for a lot less usually means something major was left out.

Assuming that you have a 5 foot tank and want to use a 4 ft fixture on it, forget about it. LEDs tend to send most of their light straight down. You will have some very dark corners if you try to get 5 foot span out of the lighting. Look at their own specs here (offsite) - https://www.reefbreeders.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Par-value-guide-Ph-48-90-opt.png Note how even at 4 feet the corners are dim.

If you really want good LED lighting on a 5 foot tank, figure that your going to want something like 3 fixtures using something like the Kessil AW360WE or EcoTech Radion SR30W or The AI Hyrda 52. Then your get enough to really cover a 5 foot tank. An additional advantage is that you can add additional fixtures if you feel it's still not enough. Yes, I know that any of these options would cost about 2 1/2 to 3 times what the fixture your looking at would cost, but this gets us back to my first point.

bluespotjawfish

I have the fixture and it is a great light for the price. I only run at less than 50%. I wouldn't spend 3 times that price for a light. Corners are fine with the 42" on a 48" tank. The 24" spread is a bit short but adequate. 5 year warranty.

Last edited:

I am using 2 of the ramping led light for my 220 gal tank,the light can do sunrise sunset,3 channels,first channel control whites,second channel control blues,third channel control moonlights,you can set time and set intensity for each of the 3 channels,10,20,30,40 ,50 and 60 minute intervals are available,the lights change in 1% increments,set timer and intensity on the touch screen,touch screen is smooth and responsive,programming is super easy after watching the video. It works well so far,love the light.

HTB1uK08IVXXXXbrXXXXq6xXFXXXN.jpg